Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Small Bore Rifle Suggestion Child NRA Rifle Competition

Hello all,

I’m looking to get my daughter (10 year old) into NRA rifle competition shooting.

Any suggestions on a .22lr to get her started practicing with that she can compete with?

Thanks.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Small Bore Rifle Suggestion Child NRA Rifle Competition

I would assume just about any 22 bolt action would be good for her first year. She has a lot to learn and I doubt she will be limited by a rifle that won't put every shot in the same hole. The important thing is to get her involved and have fun.

(Wayne County)

Any Mossberg would be good...I prefer the older ones.

Youngest is very handy with his Marlin XT-22.
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

(Montgomery County)

Check out the Crickett or Chipmunk from http://www.keystonesportingarmsllc.com/ . I think most NRA junior rifle competitions are slow fire (load one at a time) so a bolt action is preferred, a 10/22 of Ar-22 is frustrating to load single shots.

I, as a certified cheapskate dad, would call around to local gun store and inquire about used youth rifles. My concern with an 11 yo is that one day soon she is going to grow like a weed and a youth sized rifle will suddenly be useless (I had two so I speak from experience). If you are a member of a club, out the word out there, someone probably has one gathering dust in a safe.

(Chester County)

You can get a nice Anschutz from the CMP for $1500. You need to add sights to this one.

If you can find an Izhmash CM-2 Cadet, it is gold. They cost about $400 when they were new, but now go for $600+ if you can find one.

For around $300 , take a look at the CZ 455 Scout, or a used 452. The stock and barrel on the 455 can be changed out for longer ones later. You would also need to get sights for this. I think this is the minimum needed for competition. Many NRA assisted youth programs use this rifle.

For getting used to the bang and learning basic safety and mechanics, just about any bolt action .22 will work.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Chester County)

I understand the point of the single shots and I do agree that a semi-auto does encourage shooting too quickly when trying to teach the basics. I like a bolt action or lever action that has more opportunity for growth and nothing says you can't load a single round if need be.

If it were me, I would probably pick the Henry youth lever action. Something I could teach the basics of marksmanship with, but also have some fun with reactive targets when we want to.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

Between a rock and a hard place, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

If you want to get your daughter into NRA 3 or 4 position rifle competition I would suggest looking to see if there is a local gun club that has a youth shooting program. If you find one locally they typically has some basic club equipment that she can use until she decides that this is a sport she wants to stick with. Another option is youth competitive air rifle. Particularly at her age she might be able to handle a sporter class air rifle better than even the lightest weight target rifles. Youth air rifle programs are sponsored by 4H and American Legion posts on a local level. If you strike out with a local gun club you might want to make some calls to the local 4H and American Legions in your area.

Locally here in York County I run a youth air rifle and smallbore program at one of our local gun clubs. There are a few others in the area as well, along with air rifle programs run by the JROTC. You just have to make some calls or internet search for local programs in your area.

As for a rifle I concur with one of the other posters about the CMP. They do offer a plain Jane Anschutz 1903 for right around $1500 and figure another $2-300 for sights. A big chunk of change but can be used successfully by a youth shooter for many years. Savage also makes a version of the mark I and mark II rifles with target aperture sights for a lot less. CMP lists them for sale but only to clubs. They are available for retail sale just check with you local gun shop and they can order one in for you. I remember them being available from the wholesale distributor at the gun shop I helped with. Here is a link to the he CMP page with descriptions of the rifles I mentioned.http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...et-commercial/

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I can help I find I can.

(Montgomery County)

Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club has a junior rifle match every Wednesday night. They also have loaner rifles, Savge Marks if I remember.
    https://lprgc.org/?page_id=44

(Montgomery County)

(Beaver County)

I researched single shot bolt action rifles, specific for kids to learn. After all the reading and hands on I chose to buy my new grand daughter a Savage Rascal. She was two days old and has her first rifle ... it will be a few years before Pop Pop will get her to the range but she will be ready. Its a quality rifle, even has Savage's accu trigger and it's drilled/tapped for down the road if you choose to mount a scope.

IMG_8903-01.jpg
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast