Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Hunting/Camp Trip Location? Help please.

Is there a place in PA where 3-4 people could hunt deer with rifles, camp out, and do some plinking/fishing during the day? Being allowed to have a camp fire and cook on it would be a big plus.

Is there a place like this in PA?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Hunting/Camp Trip Location? Help please.

Also being allowed to hunt small game such as rabbit, squirrel, and such would be a huge plus.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Blair County)

Small game and deer season are two seasons that don't coexist for starters. Yes, you can camp in Hyner run state park and go hunt deer. It's been 15 years since I've done it but look on DCNR website.
    Brad
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

(Philadelphia County)

So we would be allowed to camp, hunt, have a fire, and plink? I looked at the rules and it seemed rather strict.

TBH we're looking more for someplace in the middle of nowhere that we can hike to, set up a camp, and put some of our outdoors know how into effect. We are all fairly fit and can/will hike as far as necessary (within reason).

We all have some out doors knowledge and I have been reading several books on the topic, but I'm the only one with any sort of experience and that experience is limited.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSHOVEL View Post
    Small game and deer season are two seasons that don't coexist for starters. Yes, you can camp in Hyner run state park and go hunt deer. It's been 15 years since I've done it but look on DCNR website.
    Brad
    he means Small game and RIFLE deer season don't coexist.

Archery season overlaps small game season

There are quite a few state parks which have state game lands very close to them, perfect for what you are looking for.

Before you decide to go and pack it into the wilderness for a weekend make sure you can live with what you have on you. maybe go camping at a campground for a weekend first with nothing but your packs? Last thing you want to do is get out there and forget something!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Philadelphia County)

Would we be allowed to bring our guns into the state park though?

Let me try to clarify:

We are talking a 4-7 man trip, for 5-8 days, with adequate, but not extravagant supplies. We want to basically be somewhere that we can simply walk up to a large cliff or berm, set up targets and shoot, hunt and cook small game, fish, swim, and most importantly be left alone. We're talking hiking into the woods, setting up camp, and being able to explore the woods surrounding us without seeing another person.

I know that's unrealistic to expect to be able to do all of the above, but we're willing to travel a good bit. Anywhere in PA, Upstate NY, and any other area within a couple hours drive. We want this to be an experience so we're willing to travel, but we'd like to essentially be on our own.

If we can't find anything public maybe there's someone here with a large plot of private wilderness or a hunting tract that they wouldn't mind allowing a couple of responsible, non-polluting, camping enthusiasts to utilize for a reasonable fee?

(Philadelphia County)

I think the hickory creek wilderness is perfect for this trip, but it says hunting/trapping are allowed in accordance with the PA game commission rules.

So could someone tell me if those rules allowed me to plink safely?
    Last edited by jon'76; September 27th, 2008 at 03:10 AM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jon'76 View Post
    I think the hickory creek wilderness is perfect for this trip, but it says hunting/trapping are allowed in accordance with the PA game commission rules.

So could someone tell me if those rules allowed me to plink safely?

I believe you could get a way with it A lot of the game lands actually have ranges. If you are going out for a few day excursion I doubt you would want to take enough ammo to "plink" with? Ammo = Heavy
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Potter County)

up here in tioga there some hidden campsite im the middle of game lands no one will bug you . but hunting deer and small game at the same time .Unless you bow hunt . plinking shouldnt be a problem . but not sure . I have my own range .

(Cumberland County)

Swimming during Deer Season?!?!?
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast