Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Hunting/Camp Trip Location? Help please.

Quote Originally Posted by jon'76 View Post
    Is there a place in PA where 3-4 people could hunt deer with rifles, camp out, and do some plinking/fishing during the day? Being allowed to have a camp fire and cook on it would be a big plus.

Is there a place like this in PA?

Lol! you must be a city person

You want to head for a state forest or the ANF.
    Hunt,camp,plink(try and keep it respectful. Others want to enjoy the land for other reasons).

You'll have to hoof it, but it will be worth it. Obviously you need to observe game laws.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Philadelphia County)

Yes unfortunately I am a resident of Philadelphia.

So would I be allowed to bring my AK, set up a backstop, and shoot away? I really want to bring the AK out, but as long as we can plink with .22 and have a mosin for bear I'm happy. We have all decided that we're not going unless we can legally bring at least one major caliber rifle for bear.

We will of course observe game laws so I think we'll try to go when its small game season, but we want to bring mosins because of the bear situation. Our current plan has us going on the hickory creek trail and exiting at some point (tbd once we study some topo maps) and hike into the forest until we find a place near water, where we can plink, and where it looks like we could pitch a good campsite.

I would appreciate help with the supply situation as I really don't want to forget something and then have to call of the trip early.

We know we need:

tents
    rope
    compass
    topo map
    camp stove
    knife
    hatchet
    shovel
    food
    sleeping bag
    sleeping pad
    water filter
    pot
    pan
    toiletries (TP/Soap/?)

We are most likely going to get boots, bdus, and milsurp metal-framed packs to help us carry the equipment. Being city slickers we really have no outdoors clothing or gear so we figure the milsurp stuff from an army/navy store is the best bang for buck and should be durable; is this an accurate assumption?

I realize its a far hike so I'm trying to keep it light, but adequately supplied. If there are any glaring objections to that list please tell me.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Personally I would leave the semi auto rifles home mainly because you can't hunt with them, so why drag them along. Not that it's a legal issue, but trust me I've been backpacking since I was 19, and that shit gets heavy fast. I’ve done the Hearts content loop twice in my younger days, and although it’s not real difficult you’ll need to hike about half way until you reach suitable camp areas. Which means you and everyone else on planet will be pitching tents in the same mile or so. It’ a very popular spot because its about 11 miles round trip IIRC, so it’s a good day trip too. During the week is your best bet. If your bent on plinking and don’t want issues(remember many backpackers are tree huggers) I would recommend finding some trail somewhere and getting off it along the way and bushwhack yourself a nice spot. I understand the bear concern, but it’s not that large an issue. Don’t be stupid. All food goes in a bear bag. I’ve never seen a bear while camping. Not because they weren’t there, but because I gave them no reason to stop.
    BTW no food in camp includes leftovers in the fire pit and washing pots and pans 50 ft from your camp.

Supplies and stuff is entirely up to you. Most people start off with mill surplus stuff for the reasons you stated, but they are heavy, and dry slow. You’ll be amazed how quick a small pile crap grows into 75 pounds, plus you want to bring rifles lol! Something to think about is the weather. It’s not uncommon to see snow around here in late October.
    There is often snow at the elevations before archery ends. Bring small but decent 1st aide kit. Make sure you have diarrhea meds. That’s no place for the shits. Make sure you have fire starter to get a fire going with wet wood. Keep a small stash of dry kindling at camp. Bring 2 or 3 butane lighter each. There is no need to pack redundantly among your party, but fire can’t be too redundant, they get lost easy in the dark, and night falls quick.
    Personally I would swap the hatchet for a good camp saw. Socks! Don’t be stingy on the socks. A small pack hammock will be your best friend next to fire. A small led light and extra batteries. The best advice I can give is make 3 piles junk. First pile of stuff you’ll need(this includes obvious stuff like first aide, survival things). Second pile is stuff you might need (usually includes many redundant items and unnecessary amenities). The third pile is for stuff you’ll never need. Only take the first pile.

You’ll figure it out. As long as you give yourself plenty of time to plan and pack it’ll work out. Don’t get lost and have fun.
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12