Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Question Opinion on bore sighter

I'm about to tear my hair out. Over the past couple years, I added different optics to my 9 mm pistols and carbines. Instead of getting better, I'm getting worse. I would like to get a ''Sightmark Laser Bore Sighter.'' When I read the reviews I see that half the people swear by them and the other half swear at them. I definitely want one that fits in the chamber. In your opinions, what do you think about them, or is there a better option out there? I know I can't be the only person going through this. What do you guys think. Joe

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Opinion on bore sighter

Boresighters can get you on paper, but you'll still need to zero the gun. I've also had cheap boresighters that wouldn't point the same way depending on how you've loaded them in (these were in the chamber cartidge style boresighters).

To me they're not worth the trouble. If you're attaching optics to a gun that already has zeroed iron sights, I'd say to try to adjust the optics to the sights, if they cowitness.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    I'm about to tear my hair out. Over the past couple years, I added different optics to my 9 mm pistols and carbines. Instead of getting better, I'm getting worse. I would like to get a ''Sightmark Laser Bore Sighter.'' When I read the reviews I see that half the people swear by them and the other half swear at them. I definitely want one that fits in the chamber. In your opinions, what do you think about them, or is there a better option out there? I know I can't be the only person going through this. What do you guys think. Joe
    Not quite sure what your issue is. At first I thought your shooting accuracy was getting worse, but you're looking for a device that (at best) helps sighting in your optics.

As for bore sighters . . . if you are hitting within (eg) a foot of your optic's POA . . . in fact if you can SEE where you hit . . . you do not need a bore sighter. The rest is making sure the optic is securely mounted, the slide doesn't wobble (if slide mounted), the optic isn't broken perhaps by recoil, and figuring out via the manual and trial and error how to adjust the POA.

Eyes and hands now pretty much gone, I shoot only from a SOLID rest when sighting in my own pistol optics. I use an Aimpoint red dot on my 1911, and Crimson Trace lasers on the others. The only issue I've had is keeping the battery seated in the CT lasers and figuring out how much to turn which virtually invisible button to move the POA.

(Blair County)

I have one in 223 and have used it in at least 20 ARs. Im usually within 2 inches at 100 yards. before that i used to set the upper on a table in my bathroom, put a 800 lumen flashlight where the bolt carrier would go and adjust my scope to the light on the wall at the end of the hall.