Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (York County)

Default Re: Insights Training Center General Defensive Handgun

Quote Originally Posted by BullfrogKen View Post
    I've taken several classes with John Holschen instructing. I thought $300 wasn't enough for a class with John.
    Unfortunately, John will not be teaching this one. Sooooooooo.....

Thumbs up Re: Insights Training Center General Defensive Handgun

This is my review for the class, I'm not the best writer, but here it is.

[QUOTE=JDLv4_0, copied from TRP.org]My wife and I took this course a couple of weeks ago. For the $300 per student it was a damn good class. The lecture was superb, the shooting portion was a little fast, but when you have only two days to learn and shoot, you will feel rushed. One thing that I was not happy about was that the class description quoted 600 rounds as being required and we went home with ammo, I'd guess that the class was probably a 60/40 lecture/shooting ratio.

While I didn't really get anything out of the lecture regarding mindset and tactics, for newer shooters looking to carry concealed who haven't thought about a lot of things, this was a great class. As for actual shooting related topics of discussion I finaly got a solid answer on the one thing that has been driving me nuts for over a year, mainly how do deal with my left eye dominant/right handed issue (I'm not going to get into this as that's a whole other story) the important thing is that it helped me out.

On the range I learned a good deal about the finer points of stance, drawing, and reholstering as well as doing lots of "tactical" reloads, clearance drills, and speed reloads. My wife and I are pretty much self taught shooters when it comes to pistols, so alot of the finer points of how to do shoot a pistol better were new to me and made perfect sense.

Again this is just be being picky, and you'll probably find this at any class you'll ever go to, but if your on the skilled side of the class, the odds of actually getting any help on what you're doing wrong is pretty slim as there will be plenty of others that need the help more than you.

The lectures focused on disparity of force, threat escalation, holster selection, proper sight aligment / sight picture and the difference betwen the two. Also covered were alot of the shooting basics and safety rules that are part of every class, but thankfully this class didn't hang on them for too long.

In the course description it says " If you have never shot or wonder how your gun works this class is not for you." and I would have to agree, this is a course for people that know how to shoot, know how to handle their gun, but want to improve. I was very pleased to see a lot of students from PA in this class, I would also agree with the course description (http://www.insightstraining.com/us/v...6&categoryID=4)stating that "This course should be considered a minimum for anyone who owns or is considering carrying a handgun for self-defense." In PA there is no training requirement to obtain your liscense to carry a firearm but it was VERY nice to see a number of people wanting to increase their skills and knowledge level.

The class was held at the West Shore Sportsmans Association south of Harrisburg and the range and class room was more than adequate for the class.

I would also like to add that the instructor was the perfect balance of good teacher / funny character who totally shattered the saying "Those that can, DO. Those that can't, TEACH." He can do both.

For my wifes write up (much better than mine) you can see her blog HERE

For more information see InSights Training Center
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; December 20th, 2008 at 01:05 PM.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(York County)

Which class was this?

I stopped out for the Insights Class offered at WSSA a few weekends ago. That was a three day class, and the student/instructor ratio for that specific class was something like 2 to 1. I counted maybe 8 students and 4 instructors.
    West Shore Sportsmen's Association WSSA Home page

This was the General Defensive Handgun Class, I think there were 12? students to the one instructor.

(York County)

Yeah, but when? That doesn't sound like the one just offered at the end of October.
    West Shore Sportsmen's Association WSSA Home page

Quote Originally Posted by BullfrogKen View Post
    Yeah, but when? That doesn't sound like the one just offered at the end of October.
    This was back in the last week of September.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12