Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Default Load me up with crap I don't need.

Well I did do some research here with the handy search feature and found in some cases alot of folks started an optics and accessories thread for AR-15's and never posted results after puchase and field use.

So for those of you that bought or had Eotech, Aimpoint and Trijicon optics, which one did you buy and are you in general pleased or not? I am aware a holographic and magnified fixed dot are two different things.

Bipods? Which one, and good or bad?

I only buy quality gear from local shops so I'm not interested buy it twice stuff.

Front battle grips? Pentagon Light and mounts?

You get the jist of what I am looking for I hope. I look forward to replies from all and thank you in advance.

All this apparattus will go on my new as of Sunday S&W MP15T

Brad
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Load me up with crap I don't need.

Great timing ........... I'm going through the same thing. I should be picking up my new Stag 2TL next week. I've pretty much decided on the EOTech 552 with Larue 110 mount but other accessories are much of what I'm looking for. Thanks for starting the thread!

BTW .... pictures are a good thing!
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Westmoreland County)

Optics = Aimpoint.

Optics mounts = LaRue.

Free Float Forends = LaRue or Daniel Defense.

BUIS = Troy Industries.

Bipods? Questionable on a fighting rifle. Harris on a precision rifle.

Tactical Light = Surefire.

Butt Stock = Vltor / Magpul / Crane.

VFG? I don't use them.

Quality is both pleasing and comforting.

(Philadelphia County)

Some of this stuff I have on my DPMS 18" carbine, and the other stuff I have for my SBR build.
    What I named here, are accessories that I am familiar with, and found to be very comfortable for me and good quality.

Optics - EoTech, Aimpoint (I have an EoTech 553)

BUIS - Troy, GG&G, MI (I spent more money on other stuff, so I went with MI flip up front and rear).

Light system - Surefire, Pentagon (I went with a Pentagon MD2 laser/light /w infrared filter)

Railed free float forearms - Daniel Defense, Vltor (I went with Vltor CASV-EL)

Mounts - A.R.M.S quick release throw lever mount,for both my light system and optics)

Stocks - Vltor, Magpul (I went with the LMT Sopmod)

VFG - Tango down, BOBRO (I went with BOBRO)

Pistol grip - Tango down, Magpul (I went with the Magpul MIAD)

Magazines - Magpul 30rd P-Mags, Lots of them

Bipods - I couldn't tell you, I don't have one

I got most of my stuff here. Browes the site, they have a lot of accessories.
    http://www.rainierarms.com/

Have fun.....
    Last edited by RONNIE77; September 25th, 2008 at 11:12 PM.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Berks County)

I too went through a lot of different itterations on my Stag after i bought it. In hindsight, I found that I was trying to make one rifle for all occasions. After some deep self examination, I decided that one AR was just not enough. To satiate the OP's request for pics, I will take you throught the process..... I just love posting pics.

The day I brought her home....

I was thinking that at the range that I shoot at, they do not provide good sandbags...just some 2x4's that are screwed together...therefore, a harris bi-pod on a carbine length rifle.

Next up....

Tapco riser slab with Eotech 511...still with bi-pod and plastic hand guards. Eotech is really nice. I love it to 100 yards for m.o.m (Minute of Man) shooting and shorter range blasting.

Then.....

Yankee Hill modular free float tube and YHM front flip up sight. I was really drawn the the tube due to the fact that you can add rails where you need them and still maintain a comfortable surface to grip without adding rail covers.

One gun show I decided to pick up this......

Hammer chicom 3x9 "tactical" scope on another Tapco block. It did work well for changing back and forth between the optics, but overall, the scope wasn't that great, and now lives in the closet of unused AR parts.

Finally, I the carbine started to act more like a true carbine......

Larue LT-110 Eotech mount, Samco VFG and Spec-ops sling. The mount is just the tits. Perfect lower 1/3 co-witness and solid as a rock. The VFG..no matter what type you get is just so nice on a carbine length rifle. Just tonight, I installed a Badger tach latch and I have since pidked up a bunch of P-mags with the ranger plates....no pics yet.

I have since learned that one AR will just not cut it in my household and put together the following for medium/long range/semi-precision duties.

RRA Coyote 20" Hbar Upper with the Hogue overmolded forend and Smith Vortex Flash hider.
    RRA Lower with 2 stage NM trigger
    Ergo Grip
    Vltor Rifle length Modstock
    Magpul enhanced trigger guard

GGG 30mm throw leaver mount
    Super Sniper 10x Mildot scope with Badger flip caps....wheww that was a mouthful.

I since added the Vltor rubber slip over recoil pad, 20 rnd P-mags with ranger plates and another Badger tach latch (really needed it for this scope). All I can say about this rifle is....AWESOME!!

I hope this was a helpful post for the OP....it cost me a lot of sleeping time!!!

The Capn'
    Last edited by Capnswervon; September 26th, 2008 at 12:37 AM.

I have a rifle and not a carbine AR so my choices may not be in line with what you want... I use my rifle for precision shooting of varmints and targets and not people and I don't use it for battle. Here is what I have with my commentary. No pics since I'm at work.

Magpul PRS stock - I love this thing. I can adjust my cheek rest to align with my optics and get the perfect LOP. Also adds a little heft which is good in a precision rifle.

Magpul MIAD grip - The regular grips was way too small... I like how I can change the grip to fit me.

Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 with Larue Tactical mount - I think Larue makes the best mounts out there. Expensive, but they work great, are very solid, and they look good. The Burris scope works for what I want to use the rifle for and it has the ballistic plex reticle which makes compensating for range easier.

MI 2 piece rails - I stayed with the regular hand guards for awhile before switching to the rail system. It was worth getting. Much more stable (for my bipod) than the regular handguards and they also add a little bit of heft which, as stated before, is desireable for a precision rifle.

Harris bipod on Larue QD mount - Harris makes good bipods that work and don't look stupid.

Daniel Defense low profile gas block - With optics, the front sight tower shadow was just annoying to me and the front sight wasn't needed so I opted for a new gas block.

Phantom flash hider - I like the looks of the phantom and it works better than the birdcage style... I had to take the old one off anyway to install the gas block so I replaced it at the same time.

Magpul XT rail covers - I like the feel of these rail covers and they give the fore end a little more girth with the rail system. I'm on the fence about getting a vertical grip so for now I stay with what I'm used to.

Magpul P-Mags (20 rounders for me) with ranger plates - I love these things. They just work. I tried other mil spec 20 rounders and, while they worked "most of the time", they just weren't right and it annoyed me. The P-mags are perfect and the ranger plates are a nice touch.
    Last edited by Hozen; September 26th, 2008 at 08:03 AM.

Standard AR-15 Carbine.

I like fixed stocks because there is less to fiddle with.

No vertical foregrip, no light, no optic (though I considered a cowitness), YHM CAR 4 rail free float if I ever decide I want to lego my rifle up, standard USGI mags, pretty basic.

(Blair County)

Cap'n and all others, thank you for your replies and especially all the pic's thus far. My primary use for this rifle will just be pleasure shooting and Prarie dogs in South Dakota. I am interested in a red dot for off hand shooting primarily and I have Leupold VX III's For hunting purpose's. Bipod for varmint and bench shooting. My M&P came with flip up front and rear back up sight's and full circumference rail system. For those of you with Aim Point do you wish you went holographic. For those of you that chose Eotech do you regret the holo v/s fixed dot?

Brad
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

(Centre County)

Some of the crap I use...

Optics = Aimpoint (carbine), Leupold Mk4 for precision. Like them both. I don't like the standard mount that came with the Aimpoint.

Optics mounts = LaRue. I definately like these.

Free Float Forends = Knights Armament. Like mine a lot. If I were to buy another I'd probably get a larue. But I like the Knights rail panels.

Railed Forends (non free float) = Knights again.

BUIS = ARMS flip up. I like it.

Bipods = Harris on precision rig with Knights mount.

Tactical Light = Surefire

Butt Stock = LMT SOPMOD (Crane)

VFG = Knights armament.

Sling = Eagle Industries.

Muzzle Device = I picked up a brake that's compatible with my suppressor for my precision rifle. Primary Weapon Systems FSC556. I like it.

(Washington County)

Warning - shameless self-promotion....

You need a golf ball launcher for it!
    www.bloomautomatic.com

vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA