Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Carrying a loaded chamber?

Hi guys!

I've been reading quite a few interesting threads here (especially the one with blanks) and I read there that some of you find carrying a loaded chamber a perfectly normal thing.

What are the rules for this for say, US Law Reinforcement?

I know for a fact that the croatian police (Croatia is where I live) is not allowed to carry chambered handguns (to have the round in the barrel of the gun).

Regulations say you have to have safety ON and the barrel empty, which means, if you have to use it, you need to cock it first (is this the right expression for pulling the slide back?) and then remove the safety.

This, I'm sure, has to have something with trigger-easy handguns, avoiding accidents etc., although there are lots of guns out there with a pretty safe trigger you can throw around with a live round and they would never fire (unless cocked).

So, what do you think about this issue at all?

I believe in most situations you have quite enough time to pull the gun out, pull the slide back and remove the safety (which takes like 2-3 seconds) unless you lieve in a very, very hostile area with lots of gangstas hanging around.

Anyway, that's it.

Kenan

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Carrying a loaded chamber?

I don't know of any law on this. I would think it would be a matter of departmental policy. I don't konw of any police department that mandates an empty chamber. When I carry a 1911 it's cocked and locked. when I carry my XD there is a round in the chamber. When I was in the Military we carried all sorts of way from an empty mag in the pistol all the way to cocked and locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenan View Post
    Hi guys!

I've been reading quite a few interesting threads here (especially the one with blanks) and I read there that some of you find carrying a loaded chamber a perfectly normal thing.

I know for a fact that the croatian police (Croatia is where I live) is not allowed to carry chambered handguns (to have the round in the barrel of the gun).

Regulations say you have to have safety ON and the barrel empty, which means, if you have to use it, you need to cock it first (is this the right expression for pulling the slide back?) and then remove the safety.

This, I'm sure, has to have something with trigger-easy handguns, avoiding accidents etc., although there are lots of guns out there with a pretty safe trigger you can throw around with a live round and they would never fire (unless cocked).

I believe in most situations you have quite enough time to pull the gun out, pull the slide back and remove the safety (which takes like 2-3 seconds) unless you lieve in a very, very hostile area with lots of gangstas hanging around.

Anyway, that's it.

Kenan

(Monroe County)

Hi guys!

Anyway, that's it.

Kenan
    I for one would NEVER carry with an empty chamber!!
    You feel you would have 2 to 3 seconds to rack the action if you needed your gun??

What if you are looking down the barrel of a bad guys gun or for that matter he's holding a large kitchen knife. Do you think that he is going to give you time to rack the slide? NOPE a doped up BD can cover 15 feet in under a second!! You won't live long enough to Rack the slide.

A Defensive carry gun is no better than a rock if the chamber is empty when you need it!!

Rich W.

(York County)

I don't know of any P.D. who mandates empty chamber carry. I always carry my duty and off duty Glock "charged" and my 1911 cocked and locked when I carry it. There are differing theories on this though. Apparently the Israelis carry with an empty chamber.

(Berks County)

Hello Kenan, and welcome! It's great to see that our site is getting worldwide attention!

The issue of carrying (or not) with a round in the chamber had been discussed before on the site. I recommend you read the following thread, you'll likely find a lot of your answers there:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...e-chamber.html

In addition, the thread also covers opinions on carrying with a round in the chamber.

In short, there are no laws in the US or any of its states which prohibit carrying a weapon with a round in the chamber.

Again, welcome!
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Erie County)

Can you citizens of Croatia own firearms/carry them?

Thanks for the nice welcome! I'm sure gonna give that thread a look!

Well, the firearms mentality is obviously different and varies from nation to nation.
    I suspected it's quite normal there to carry with a live one but then again, it's all about perception of things.

C ya around!

Kenan

(Bucks County)

Kenan
    Welcome!

If you ever need any tactical gear give my friend and your countryman a call at: www.kroko.hr They are based in Zagreb.

Dave

(Carbon County)

Yup...empty chamber = paperweight!

Dave,
    Croatian contacts!?
    you never cease to amaze me!
    ;-D

PS Did you see this pic of Missing while lurking on BF? https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg...upid=143544114
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Berks County)

Thanks for the nice welcome! I'm sure gonna give that thread a look!

Well, the firearms mentality is obviously different and varies from nation to nation.
    I suspected it's quite normal there to carry with a live one but then again, it's all about perception of things.

C ya around!

Kenan
    IIRC, Israel is the same way. I'm not familiar with other nations so I don't know how prevalent that is. Personally, when I first started carrying I was uncomfortable with a round in the chamber, but now I never give it a second thought.

If I ever need my gun, it is because it is a last-chance situation where I will probably not be completely clear headed and in survival mode. I don't want to have to think too much if that ever happens.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast