Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Brass question...

ok, so i know if i am loading hot rounds for accuracy then i need to make sure all items going into a round are the same...

BUT, what if i am loading plinking rounds to go out and screw off...?

i know brass dimentions can be a little different, but what if i am using a "standard" load like a factory load and my brass is of a couple different brands?!?

would i be safe, or would i need to load up 5 of each kind of brass, and try it out?
    This Space For Rent

Default Re: Brass question...

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy4Blazer View Post
    ok, so i know if i am loading hot rounds for accuracy then i need to make sure all items going into a round are the same...

BUT, what if i am loading plinking rounds to go out and screw off...?

i know brass dimentions can be a little different, but what if i am using a "standard" load like a factory load and my brass is of a couple different brands?!?

would i be safe, or would i need to load up 5 of each kind of brass, and try it out?
    I would imagine that if you've full length sized them all (or neck sized if you've previously fired them in your rifle) and they're within the maximum case length and you're using standard load data it wouldn't matter all that much.

(Cumberland County)

If you are loading "screw off" loads, why are you anywhere above a 75% load? (Unless you're running an auto-loader and it won't function correctly at lower charges.)

My blasting ammo is around 60% of the min-to-max range (min=0%, max=100%) for that powder and bullet weight, so changing the brass should result in a minimal difference. I have never seen pressure issues with my blasting ammo loaded into a mixed brass lot.

Now, with that said ... I have noticed (in my 308 rifle rounds) that rounds loaded in Win. brass run slightly different than the exact same loading in Rem. brass. Rem. brass is a bit thicker, so it has less case volume. Pressure is up a bit, velocity is up, the gun kicks a bit more, but I have no pressure problems since I am not running too close to the max.

If you want to load close to the max, I would suggest that you start low, and work up just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

good info to know... thanks.

i just have some brass in 9mm and .308 that i didnt want to sort out for when i start loading...
    This Space For Rent