Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: EXTAR EP9 - 9mm AR-ish pistol

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    I really wanted one, but for 200 more i can get a stribog..

I'm seeing Stribogs for $300 more - with no brace.

I do know what you mean though - the Stribog is a whole other level, and spending more gets you more.

The EP9 is what it is - a poor man's PDW - and a pretty good value considering the other options.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
    i recently reviewed these options in another thread.. to me, the stribog is way too heavy and no glock mags ruled it out for me (there is a vendor making a glock mag adapter/ lower for it but that will prob sell for $200+ alone)

my top contenders were akv (no glock mags but psa mags are dirt cheap) and its frickin awesome, ep9 (glock mags, cheap, and crazy light my exp556 is insane i love it), and the new pc charger

in the end im going pc charger bc i know someone will offer a carbine length barrel and then i get a pistol and carbine in one package that runs glock mags
    The PC Charger has won out in my book. Its street price puts it at around $600. I'm looking at the SB Tac Triangle Brace for it. Figure another $200. Already have a ton of Glock mags. Not sure if I'm going with a PA Cyclops, Swampfox Blade, or a SeeAll Tritium sight. I have the Cyclops and the SeeAll. Have to see which Mrs Ronin likes better since this will likely be her bedside gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    The PC Charger has won out in my book. Its street price puts it at around $600. I'm looking at the SB Tac Triangle Brace for it. Figure another $200. Already have a ton of Glock mags. Not sure if I'm going with a PA Cyclops, Swampfox Blade, or a SeeAll Tritium sight. I have the Cyclops and the SeeAll. Have to see which Mrs Ronin likes better since this will likely be her bedside gun.
    Yeah this recent video sold me on it to the point I would order it without having handled one 1st.

(Montgomery County)

But its ugly lol
    Also looks heavy..

(Allegheny County)

I have the Extar. i absolutely love it. It has been extremely reliable for me. I have used a variety of glock and glock knock off mags and they all seem to work for me. It even feeds my home cast and powder coated bullets. Some of my 9's don't reliably feed them but the extar has no problems. If the Ruger was out when I bought the extar I probably would have bought the ruger.

The Extar is cheap but that doesn't in any way reflect on the quality and reliability of the weapon. I would not have a problem using it in a self defense role. It has proven that reliable. 100% with FMJ and I would guess 98% with cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Yeah this recent video sold me on it to the point I would order it without having handled one 1st.

I held the chassis model of the PC Carbine at the Outdoor Show earlier this year. I though it was too heavy as compared to my 1st gen stock PC Carbine. I took the barrel off the chassis rifle and noticed a huge difference in balance an weight (duh!) and thought it would be neat to have a pistol version PC Carbine. Then I saw the same Colion Noir vid you post and it pretty much sold me. Also, I already have the PC Carbine, so having a pistol version makes sense from a familiarity/compatibility standpoint.

(Beaver County)

I've owned a Ruger PCC and I have a Grand Power Stribog now. I hate the PC carbine for a few reasons; stupid controls and really heavy. You've got a cross bolt safety and the magazine release is a foot away so you can only use it with your support thumb. Also, the bolt is massive, same as any blowback but even with the fluting, the barrel is still really heavy. One more thing; I don't understand the appeal of the takedown feature. Who asked for that? No experience with the Extar but if you've shot one of the glock mag blowback carbine/pistols, you've shot them all. At least the Extar has AR controls. Now, the Stribog is outstanding on the other hand. AR controls, fully ambidextrous, reversible non-reciprocating charging handle. It's a blowback like the others so it's not exactly light but it's not as heavy as the Ruger and it's a very well made gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    I've owned a Ruger PCC and I have a Grand Power Stribog now. I hate the PC carbine for a few reasons; stupid controls and really heavy. You've got a cross bolt safety and the magazine release is a foot away so you can only use it with your support thumb. Also, the bolt is massive, same as any blowback but even with the fluting, the barrel is still really heavy. One more thing; I don't understand the appeal of the takedown feature. Who asked for that? No experience with the Extar but if you've shot one of the glock mag blowback carbine/pistols, you've shot them all. At least the Extar has AR controls. Now, the Stribog is outstanding on the other hand. AR controls, fully ambidextrous, reversible non-reciprocating charging handle. It's a blowback like the others so it's not exactly light but it's not as heavy as the Ruger and it's a very well made gun.

I was high on the Stribog last year. I thought it was an inexpensive clone of the B&T GHM9; a gun I love, but just can't justify spending $1600+ on a range toy. Then I started hearing about mag cracking issues. Lots of folks posting over on the Stribog Owner's page on FB. Lots on Arfcom. GP said it wasn't a problem. Argued owners were being babies. Looks like they've got a metal reinforced mag to address the problem they said never existed.

I was holding out for the A3 delayed blowback version that was supposed to be out in the US middle of 2020. Was hoping there wouldn't be a big price jump for the A3. When I heard it was going to be almost $1k for the gun without a brace, plus mag issues, and some reliability issues after a recent spring/bolt change, I shifted focus to the Extar and the AKV. Out of those two, the AKV appeals to me more even though it's more expensive and a good bit heavier. I just like AKs more than ARs.

At this rate, it will be 2021 before I get to fondle and/or buy a PC Charger. I may change my mind a few times between now and then. Maybe Extar finally releases the EP45 and the EP10 (doubt it) and then I want one of those (both?). That's the problem with having Shiny Object Syndrome.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I was high on the Stribog last year. I thought it was an inexpensive clone of the B&T GHM9; a gun I love, but just can't justify spending $1600+ on a range toy. Then I started hearing about mag cracking issues. Lots of folks posting over on the Stribog Owner's page on FB. Lots on Arfcom. GP said it wasn't a problem. Argued owners were being babies. Looks like they've got a metal reinforced mag to address the problem they said never existed.

I was holding out for the A3 delayed blowback version that was supposed to be out in the US middle of 2020. Was hoping there wouldn't be a big price jump for the A3. When I heard it was going to be almost $1k for the gun without a brace, plus mag issues, and some reliability issues after a recent spring/bolt change, I shifted focus to the Extar and the AKV. Out of those two, the AKV appeals to me more even though it's more expensive and a good bit heavier. I just like AKs more than ARs.

At this rate, it will be 2021 before I get to fondle and/or buy a PC Charger. I may change my mind a few times between now and then. Maybe Extar finally releases the EP45 and the EP10 (doubt it) and then I want one of those (both?). That's the problem with having Shiny Object Syndrome.
    Well, my experience shooting the Stribog has been 100% positive. I've got over 2000 rounds as of my last trip the range through the Stribog with 0 malfunctions, 7 magazines with no cracking, and it's important to know that people on the Stribog owners group are bitches. I left that group a while ago because I got sick of people joining just to ask if the gun was reliable and other equally stupid questions like when they would release a glock mag version. You know, so it can be no different than every other glock mag AR9 ...

I still intend to buy the SP9A3 or a carbine version if/when it becomes available. My wife and EVERYONE else I got shoot with, loves the Stribog and tends to claim it for the duration of that day so having another one or at least a second pistol caliber carbine wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm left handed and hate paddle releases/using my support hand thumb so there aren't many options out there for me. I considered building an AR9 with colt mags so I could put an ambidextrous release on it and using the CMMG radial delayed blowback bolt/barrel kit. The problem I had was the question of compatibility with non-glock mag lowers so I never did it.

(Wayne County)

So, I'm still kicking around whether I should grab one of these or not

What say yee!!

Yay! or Nay!!???
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast