Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Took my father to shoot my M16 for Father's Day

My parents came up to visit me this weekend and I took my dad to shoot for the second time. He never really understood why I'd spend so much money on a gun like an M16, but hedoes now! Like everyone he had the biggest grin on his face after dumping a magazine of .223 down range. I wish I had remembered to bring my camera and get some pictures but it was a lot of fun.

It's things like this that really make me love our hobby.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

At least he didn't ask you for the M16 as a fathers day gift...so consider yourself fortunate. I have been debating on getting my class III. I like that anything class III will appreciate in value, but I have the mentality of..."one shot...one kill." Class III weapons definately haver the kewl factor, but I like to make sure I hit what is in my crosshair. My friend has his Class III license...I hear him tell me how he "hides" his purchase from his wife...not sure how you hide a $12,000 purchase from your spouse, but hey...if you can get away with it...by all means.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515
    My friend has his Class III license
    Not to nitpick, but this is one of the biggest mis-understandings about Title II/Class 3 items.

You don't get a "Class 3 License". As an individual purchashing a machinegun you fill out and send off a Form 4 for a tax-paid transfer of a title II weapon to the ATF. If they send it back approved the gun can then be given to the new owner and acts as the proof-of-tax-paid for that item. If you want another one you have to do the same thing again.

An actual "Class 3 License" would be if you were an FFL that wanted to transfer Title II items for people. In that case the FFL holder pays his yearly SOT (Special Occupational Tax) and becomes a Class 3 FFL and can now perform transfers of NFA items.
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Northampton County)

I have to agree with you Dan. It seems that every time that you tell someone about class three firearms they have heard all sorts of roomers. For example it costs $1000. per year to keep each one that the first one is $3000. I don't know if an uninformed public is good since it keeps ownership somewhat limited but it is sad that there are so many enthusiasts out there that don't take the plunge into class three ownership. Come on in the waters fine. Also remember www.nfaoa.org there is allot of information there
    Boom boom bobby says keepem running Life Member NRA

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by boom boom bobby
    it is sad that there are so many enthusiasts out there that don't take the plunge into class three ownership. Come on in the waters fine.
    Gladly. Got about 10 or 12 grand I could borrow? Seriously, I'd love to do it, but the money's just not there. Hat's off to you fellas who've got it though. Enjoy!
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by starblazer
    Gladly. Got about 10 or 12 grand I could borrow? Seriously, I'd love to do it, but the money's just not there. Hat's off to you fellas who've got it though. Enjoy!
    There are many great guns that cost a fraction of that price. Macs can be had for 2-3k for example. If you're willing to drop another grand you can really pimp out a Mac into a sweet little gun with some aftermarket uppers and parts. Granted that's still a lot of money, but it's a lot less than 10-12k

(Northampton County)

I agree with Dan there are allot of class three guns out there under three thousand you just have to be diligent about finding them. You have to look on different web sites that handle class three firearms go to as many gun shows that have class three items check out full auto shoots they have them in Ohio, Virginia, Connecticut,mass,Florida,Kentucky and else ware. go to class three dealers and talk to them and it is just like anything else if you want it bad enough you will save for it. Look what some people spend on a car that depreciates as soon as you drive it off the lot a class three firearm is only going to go up in value not down. I do not know if you are into investing for the future but if you are class three is the way to go it can make you money if you take care of them and you will have allot of fun along the way.
    Boom boom bobby says keepem running Life Member NRA

(Beaver County)

Well, I don't know too much about Class 3 hardware, but I did spend a couple years of my life and a lot of money learning about investments. IMO Class 3 stuff is a risky investment because our government isn't really all that friendly to people owning such goods. Full-auto stuff is one area where restrictive and oppressive laws can be passed with nary a significant peep from the gun lobby or most gun owners. Machine guns are something, I think, it's a better idea to own because you want one rather than as a money-making investment. It'd really, really suck to sink many thousands of dollars into machineguns and then have the government make it illegal for you to sell or otherwise transfer your whole "portfolio." Remember the saying "there is only the long term." The present administration and legislature has been content to mainly ignore guns; that hasn't always been the case and almost certainly won't always be the case.
    All that said, if any of you have a spare BAR lying around that you don't shoot, you can give it to me. I'll take real good care of it, I promise.

I think the only full auto I'd ever want would be a Thompson...maybe a M249 but it eats soooooo much ammunition. It was always my favorite weapon next to the Mk 19...ahhh the memories.

However I am thinking of picking up a 14" 870 eventually, gald this section of the forum is here, to hash out some of the details about procuring one.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Delaware County)

I don't own a "machine gun" and I don't plan on getting one. I used them in the Marines as well as other types of firearms.

However, I don't like any type of firearm laws that restrict someone from having one or any kind of firearms whether I have one or not.

We all like someting different.

Now getting something past the wife, here's what I do:

For instance, if you buy a firearm that costs, let's say, $5,000. Tell her right away and with confidence that it cost $15,000. Be proud of that price.

When she "hits the roof" and starts complaining (putting it mildly) then tell her the real price.

Being at a lot lower price, it won't seem so bad to her then. It has worked for me many years.

Or maybe I'm being the one that's being fooled. In either case, it works and diffuses the situation.