Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Fayette County)

Default what are the rules on carrying a conceled weapon?

I have a lot of questions, any input would be greatly appreciated. I am going to get a permit to carry a handgun. What rights do I have as far a carrying my handgun on me? Must it be visible at all times? Do I need a special/different permit to carry conceled? Can I have my hangun on me in public places like malls or will I get arrested? I am mainly getting the permit to keep my gun on me while I bowhunt, in case of stray dogs and bears. But I was just wondering what other times I can have it on me. When I bought my handgun, I was allowed to leave the store without any permit, but I am unsure if I am allowed to have it in my car without a permit. I figured this would be the best place to get reliable answers. So any help here would be useful.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: what are the rules on carrying a conceled weapon?

What you are getting is a License To Carry Firearms.

That license entitles you to carry concealed on, or about your person. Or in a car. You don't need a license to carry openly on foot.

You do not have to conceal, and the only places off limits are government buildings (courthouses) and Schools, (jury is still out on the legality of that) State and national parks (unless they changed that, i'm not sure) I know i'm leaving things out.

You WILL hear alot of shit from the sheriff, police, and other people that simply is not true.

It IS legal to OC. It IS legal to carry in banks, bars, liquer stores, and places like that.

I'm really tired so I know i'm leaving stuff out. I'll go get the ling for the thread you need that spells it all out.
    Last edited by P-11 shooter; September 25th, 2008 at 03:18 AM.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...nsylvania.html

Here, it's stickied at the top of the concealed and open carry forum. This spells it all out for you.

(Northampton County)

I would also like to suggest this:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...carry-you.html
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Jefferson County)

The guys above linked you to the most critical things.

You only need a permit to carry it concealed or transport it in a vehicle loaded or empty. Law lists a few places that you are allowed to have it in the vehicle during your commute, i.e.: to/from hunting, fishing, trapping, hunting dog training, gunsmith, work. You should realize though your commute needs to be direct to/from those locations. If you have a permit(LTCF), you can have it in your car at any time loaded or unloaded.

If you walk out your front door with it holstered out in the open, you can walk around town without a need for a license. But if you intend to take it anywhere in a vehicle that isn't exempted - you need a permit.

Even if you dont intend to carry for protection, it doesn't really hurt to get the license just in case you forget your pistol in the car after a hunting trip. With the license, it provides you a legal protection from the concealed/vehicle carry prohibition. Everyone should get their LTCF, even if they are anti-gun. ...theres no reason not to have the legal protections just in case of errant or constructive possession.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!