Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dueling

(Butler County)

Default Dueling

Still legal...? Perhaps so. Look.

State and territorial laws prohibiting dueling

20 states, along with the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, have some statute(s) (including constitutional provisions) prohibiting dueling. The remaining 30 states either have no such statute or constitutional provision, or limit their dueling prohibition to members of their state national guard. This does not necessarily mean, however, that dueling is legal in any state. The following is a list of each state and/or territory's status with respect to laws prohibiting dueling:

* Alabama - See Constitution above
    * Alaska - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * Arizona - No statutory dueling prohibition for civilians; prohibited for personnel of the state national guard[3]
    * Arkansas - See Constitution above; specifically prohibited for personnel of the state national guard[4]
    * California - California Penal Code Sections 225 through 232
    * Colorado - C.R.S. 18-13-104
    * Connecticut - No statutory dueling prohibition for civilians; prohibited for personnel of the state national guard[5]
    * Delaware - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * Florida - See Constitution above
    * District of Columbia - D.C. Code 22-1302
    * Georgia - No statutory dueling prohibition for civilians; prohibited for personnel of the state national guard[6]
    * Hawaii - No statutory dueling prohibition for civilians; prohibited for personnel of the state national guard[7]
    * Idaho - Idaho Code 19-303
    * Illinois - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * Indiana - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * Iowa - No statutory dueling prohibition for civilians; prohibited for personnel of the state national guard[8]
    * Kansas - No statutory dueling prohibition for civilians; prohibited for personnel of the state national guard[9]
    * Kentucky - K.R.S. 437.030
    * Louisiana - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * Maine - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * Maryland - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * Massachusetts - G.L.Mass. ch. 265, sections 3-4
    * Michigan - M.C.L.S. 750.171-750.173a; M.C.L.S. 750.319 and 750.320
    * Minnesota - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * Mississippi - Miss. Code Ann. Title 97, Chapter 39
    * Missouri - No statutory dueling prohibition for civilians; prohibited for personnel of the state national guard[10]
    * Montana - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * Nebraska - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * Nevada - Nev. Rev. Stat. Ann. 200.430 through 200.450
    * New Hampshire - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * New Jersey - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * New Mexico - N.M. Stat. Ann. 30-20-11
    * New York - No statutory dueling prohibition for civilians; prohibited for personnel of the state national guard[11]
    * North Carolina - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * North Dakota - N.D. Cent. Code 29-03-02
    * Ohio - No statutory dueling prohibition for civilians; prohibited for personnel of the state national guard[12]
    * Oklahoma - 21 Okl. St., Chapter 22
    * Oregon - See Constitution above; also specifically prohibited for personnel of the state national guard[13]
    * Pennsylvania - No statutory dueling prohibition for civilians; prohibited for personnel of the state national guard[14]
    * Puerto Rico - 33 L.P.R.A. 4035
    * Rhode Island - R.I. Gen. Laws, Title 11, Chapter 12
    * South Carolina - See Constitution above; 16 S.C. Code Ann., Chapter 3, Article 5
    * South Dakota - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * Tennessee - See Constitution above
    * Texas - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * Utah - Utah Code Ann. 76-5-104 (homicide includes dueling and other "consensual altercations")
    * Vermont - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * Virginia - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * Washington - No statutory dueling prohibition for civilians; prohibited for personnel of the state national guard[15]
    * West Virginia - See Constitution above; W.Va. Code 61-2-18 through 61-2-25
    * Wisconsin - No statutory dueling prohibition
    * Wyoming - No statutory dueling prohibition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel

The US dueling code...
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/duel/sf...ofdueling.html

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Dueling

Perfect... Natural Selection is still viable in one regard here in PA.

(Union County)

[love slap, I don't take crap] "Sir! I said I DEMAND satisfaction!" [/love slap, baby love slap]

I've been dueling for years in PA. Of course it has been w/ a 5 string banjo....[crickets]
    Girls, Guns and Gears......What more could you ask for in life?!

(Berks County)

If it was only legal!

I don't know about all of you but I know a few people that deserve to be called out.........

It is my belief that if we truly still had dueling then we wouldn't need the number of laws, police or lawyers we have today!

(York County)

Talking Re: Dueling

I would be so busy dealing with dueling I would at least have to take two weeks off to get through everyone. And then keep one day open per week. -BB
    The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
    -Ted Nugent

(Jefferson County)

Just because it isn't illegal directly, it doesn't mean its not an offense under another law - like: assault, (attempted) homicide, reckless endangerment, etc..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

I think a dueling scar is right dashing!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Just because it isn't illegal directly, it doesn't mean its not an offense under another law - like: assault, (attempted) homicide, reckless endangerment, etc..
    But since your opponent would be staring you down with a gun (or other arm of the called out persons choosing) as well, wouldn't you think it would be self defense?

(Philadelphia County)

I think two people should be allowed to duel if they so choose as long as the only two people in danger at any time are themselves. The reservations to becoming a participant in a duel would certainly usher in a new era of politeness.

See dueling is one of those things that I personally think is silly, but I also believe that so long as its mutually consentual between two adults I have no right to interfere. It would take an insult of epic proportions to convince me to duel as opposed to simply removing the person from my life. Then again there are two times in my life where I felt slighted enough that if dueling was an option I would have pursued it; unfortunatly I know one time would have ended with me in a casket so I guess I'm lucky
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jon'76 View Post
    I think two people should be allowed to duel if they so choose as long as the only two people in danger at any time are themselves. The reservations to becoming a participant in a duel would certainly usher in a new era of politeness.

See dueling is one of those things that I personally think is silly, but I also believe that so long as its mutually consentual between two adults I have no right to interfere. It would take an insult of epic proportions to convince me to duel as opposed to simply removing the person from my life. Then again there are two times in my life where I felt slighted enough that if dueling was an option I would have pursued it; unfortunatly I know one time would have ended with me in a casket so I guess I'm lucky
    Sir, and I use that term quite loosely, you are ugly, smell like a dead baboon, and your mother dresses you funny.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast