Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default The right for police to lie?

I have "heard" that police officers can "lie" to suspects in order to gain more information? You see it all the time on T.V. the interrogating officer tells the suspect they have a witness that puts them at the scene of the crime, even though they don't. Or that the "other" suspect confessed and says you pulled the trigger, when in fact he didn't confess. The reason, I'm asking this is because, say you are stopped on the street by a officer because you look suspicious and in order to gain more info from you, he says they have a witness that says you "such and such", and yet they don't. Can someone of knowledge enlighten me if it is SOP and legal for police to do this? BTW, I'm just curious, it hasn't happen to me because I never look suspicious I also have another reason that I will state after I get the info I'm looking for.
    Last edited by Hawk; September 24th, 2008 at 01:25 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: The right for police to lie?

I think they can... kinda off the books if you know what i mean. But it should be no matter, since if you did the crime, your screwed, and if you did nothing, it wont matter...

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I have "heard" that police officers can "lie" to suspects in order to gain more information? You see it all the time on T.V. the interrogating officer tells the suspect they have a witness that puts them at the scene of the crime, even though they don't. Or that the "other" suspect confessed and says you pulled the trigger, when in fact he didn't confess. The reason, I'm asking this is because, say you are stopped on the street by a officer because you look suspicious and in order to gain more info from you, he says they have a witness that says you "such and such", and yet they don't. Can someone of knowledge enlighten me if it is SOP and legal for police to do this? BTW, I'm just curious, it hasn't happen to me because I never look suspicious
    It's true a LEO can mislead you in order to obtain information

I would like to hear one of our resident LEOs or lawyers weigh in on this.....
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    It's true a LEO can mislead you in order to obtain information

Let me expand on this... Can a LEO legally "mislead" you in order to get you to comply with his directive?
    Toujours prêt

(Philadelphia County)

It is my understanding that police can say whatever they'd like and it's your job to know your rights.

Just like no cop will get in trouble for telling you OC is illegal so cover up.

Just like no cop will get in trouble for telling you to step out of the car and then demanding to search it.

Its up to you to know your rights, apply them, and then fight for them in court if the cop decides to be an ass.

This information is worth exactly what you paid for it, and I strongly suggest you get a lawyer/officer's opinion.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Schuylkill County)

What part of the 'the right to remain silent' is confusing?

If you are arrested, at no point are you going to 'talk your way out of it' or 'get the police to help you'.

Shut up, except for the phrase that pays: "I WANT A LAWYER".

But yes, legally a police officer can not tell you the truth to get information from you. As long as its not one of the topics that can get them in civil trouble: race, color, threat of violence etc.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Thanks for starting this Hawk.

I've had it happen to me. Personally, I think it's bullshit, but don't have the time for a lengthy reply right now. I'll have to get back to you.

(Lehigh County)

Police lie? I'm shocked... shocked to learn!

(Pike County)

Yes a LEO is allowed to "LIE" in order to obtain information. Obviously the LEO can't use the "LIE" to make an accusatory instrument to have you charged.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast