Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Bolting down a gun safe

I just bought a quality gun safe. They strongly suggest bolting it down, makes sense. My question is, can two 3/8 bolts (holes pre drilled) keep a BG from rocking a 500lb. safe right out of the concrete floor it's anchored to? Any thoughts?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Bolting down a gun safe

how about drilling 1" dia. holes 4" deep into the concrete floor, and setting some 3/8" all-thread rod in there and cement them back in. now you have integrated bolt shafts sticking out of your floor. should be pretty near impossible to rock free, right?

Quote Originally Posted by cLion View Post
    how about drilling 1" dia. holes 4" deep into the concrete floor, and setting some 3/8" all-thread rod in there and cement them back in. now you have integrated bolt shafts sticking out of your floor. should be pretty near impossible to rock free, right?
    and build a strap to hold the top to a wall. 1/4'' inch plate formed around the top would be great.
    This Space For Rent

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup 26 View Post
    I just bought a quality gun safe. They strongly suggest bolting it down, makes sense. My question is, can two 3/8 bolts (holes pre drilled) keep a BG from rocking a 500lb. safe right out of the concrete floor it's anchored to? Any thoughts?
    yes it will prevent rocking. I used Wedge bolts in concrete, not sleeve anchors. Plus my safe weighs three times that of yours. I strongly advise fastening to floor or wall or in my case both.

Brad
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

(Centre County)

If the bad guy can get everything going and rock the 500 lb safe out of the floor (with guns in it, adding to the weight) then let him have it, LOL.

Seriously, even if he breaks it loose, then what is he going to do with it? If it flops on it's side it takes a pretty big person too pick up something that heavy.

Most thieves look for grab and go items (unless they have really done some homework and know that you store gold bullion in the safe or other valuables). Most aren't going to try to get a complete safe out of a house, too much work and takes too much time.

I bolted mine down mainly for safety so that they wouldn't tip over and squish someone or someone's toes (unlikely anyway because they are heavy and don't move easily, although the east is way overdue for a major earthquake).

Mine are bolted to the floor and to the studs in the wall, making it even harder to try to rock them.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the input, you've given me some good ideas.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    If the bad guy can get everything going and rock the 500 lb safe out of the floor (with guns in it, adding to the weight) then let him have it, LOL.

Seriously, even if he breaks it loose, then what is he going to do with it? If it flops on it's side it takes a pretty big person too pick up something that heavy.

Most thieves look for grab and go items (unless they have really done some homework and know that you store gold bullion in the safe or other valuables). Most aren't going to try to get a complete safe out of a house, too much work and takes too much time.

I agree! Worse case scenario is that they wrap a chain/strap around it and the other end to a truck and hit the gas to yank it through your house.
    I moved mine (300 lbs +, empty), by myself, on a dolly, and nearly had a heart attack.
    Toujours prêt

(Berks County)

Put it right in a corner so its pressed against 2 walls, that'll make it damn near impossible to rock it loose, and if someone does manage to pull it away from the wall, its going to land right on them.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by mjfletcher View Post
    Put it right in a corner so its pressed against 2 walls, that'll make it damn near impossible to rock it loose, and if someone does manage to pull it away from the wall, its going to land right on them.
    dont forget to weld/install spikes on the top of it too

you know, for added effect.

(Montgomery County)

I used 4- 3/8" bolts and Wedge anchors, as stated above, and put it in a corner.

You ain't rocking this baby, and it would be a little difficult to wrap a chain around to pull with a truck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast