Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Muzzleloading question

I just got CVA inline .50 cal. rifle, The problem I am having is that saboted bullet wont go down the muzzle. (These are hornady.50 caliber 250 gr. cooper bullets). The bullet went just less than inch down the muzzle and got stuck there. I couldn't push it further with ramrod, it was so tight. So I had to dislodge it by kicking from from the breech side. What I am doing wrong? The empty sabots move down fine, although tightly. AFAIK they don't have to be lubed. Thanks for advise.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Muzzleloading question

I know this may sound like a dumb question, and just so I can picture this in my head... Are you using 50cal bullets in a 50cal sabot?

Generally, a 50cal rifle will use a 50cal sabot with a 45cal bullet in it.

I have seen some sabot projectiles that were god awful tight to load, and others too loose. Try another brand or open up the sabot's cup some with a drill(not really worth it).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Yes, I bought .50 cal Hornady bullets. I thought .50 cal barrel would need .50 cal. bullets...

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I know this may sound like a dumb question, and just so I can picture this in my head... Are you using 50cal bullets in a 50cal sabot?

Generally, a 50cal rifle will use a 50cal sabot with a 45cal bullet in it.

I have seen some sabot projectiles that were god awful tight to load, and others too loose. Try another brand or open up the sabot's cup some with a drill(not really worth it).

(Jefferson County)

Yeah, a 50cal rifle needs 50cal projectiles. But when using sabots, you need a smaller bullet because the sabot cup makes up the difference.

A 50cal bullet in a 50cal sabot wont work. You need some 45cal bullets* to put in the sabots-the sabots should be 50cal.

You can use the 50cal bullets though without the sabots. The copper jacketing might make them a little tougher than a lead bullet though to seat.

*=depending on internal sabot cup diameter. You can get them from 30cal up to 45cal.
    Last edited by knight0334; September 24th, 2008 at 01:10 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!