Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default knight's rant of the day...

Why do some people insist on walking right down the road when a perfectly good sidewalk is a couple feet away?

I was walking to work this morning here in Johnstown, all fine an dandy until I got right past NineseveN's place of work. This old man then crosses from east side of Franklin St to the west side to go westward along Lincoln St. Now mind you, there are beautiful sidewalks on both sides(9-7 can attest to that) - in fact just about the entire downtown area has some of the cleanest and best shape walks I've seen anywhere. But this old bastard insisted on walking right down the middle of the east bound lane making 2 cars have to swerve around him. I was thinking, "what an ass!", and caught myself mumbling out loud "hit him!" both times.

This isn't the only time I've seen some one do that here. I've seen others do the same in the same area. Now I can see how someone could reason to themselves to go down the vehicle lane because they had a cart, bike, or jogging - but not when the walk was complete void of pedestrians and is in fine condition.

You know, usually I dont wish ill upon people - but there are times that its ok to hope for someone to get run over right??
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: knight's rant of the day...

I have seen it around here too. The only time I've ever done that is on occasion when a friend and I are both going for a walk through the neighborhood and we both have our youngest in strollers. It's too narrow on the walk to be side by side and we like to talk (obviously) while we're walking so it's just the way we do it. Of course, we MOVE then cars are coming and we live in a nice, quiet, low traffic neighborhood. When I say I have seen it around here I am talking about even on busy streets. What annoys me even in our own neighborhood is when people don't mind their kids who are literally running the streets like they own them and you know full well if one of them gets hit the driver is going to be the one in trouble. These kids around here have NO regard for the cars on the road and that's unacceptable!

(Luzerne County)

I can't say why the old guy was doing it. But I can say that I have been walking the dogs a lot lately. And I have noticed that a lot of sidewalks through town are mismatched heaved and disrepair. Maybe that is why they avoid the sidewalks.

Now there are miles of roads that does not have sidewalks at all. These are new houses going in. Some of them have to be upwards of a million. Easily 5 or 10 times bigger than my house. Yet no sidewalk. What did they do run out of money? Or don't want to clear the snow in winter?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Centre County)

Nice to know I'm not alone. We have lots of derelicts who don't use our sidewalks and wander in the street.
    What pisses me off is that the borough will fine you if you don't clear the sidewalk within 24 hrs of snowfall's end. We are also personally responsible for repairs to the concrete in front of our houses. What's it matter? Nobody freakin' uses the sidewalks!!!
    Where I'm originally from, our property TAXES took care of all that. Where the F*#% are my TAXES going in this F'ed-up backwater town that I live in now?

(Cambria County)

There's no excuse down here Knight, I agree. I like the wheelchair mafia that parades around in the streets instead of using the ramped curbs like they're supposed to. Our sidewalks are in pretty good shape, no reason to just walk in the middle of the street, but people do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I was walking to work this morning here in Johnstown, all fine an dandy until I got right past NineseveN's place of work. This old man then crosses from east side of Franklin St to the west side
    Sheesh, that right there seems to me a pretty good reason to cross the street...

NineseveN is a pretty scary guy... Even I would cross the street to avoid him!
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

street joggers, theres a perfectly good sidewalk to jog on but noooooo, i have to jog in the middle of the street with my anorexic, daisy duke lookin jogging shorts half up my ass. just watch out for BIG GREENS mirror, end of rant..

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    street joggers, theres a perfectly good sidewalk to jog on but noooooo, i have to jog in the middle of the street with my anorexic, daisy duke lookin jogging shorts half up my ass. just watch out for BIG GREENS mirror, end of rant..
    HAHAHA! Agreed. Whether it is street joggers, kids playing in the street, people pushing babies, whatever. Get on the sidewalk for everyone's safety.

I have a baby and a large dog. My wife and I walk together. The sidewalks suck and are uneven. They aren't wide enough for both of us. We walk on them anyway. I will not let my son, my wife, or my dog walk out in the street and my wife will not let her son, her dog, or me walk out in the street. There are too many irresponsible drivers out there to take that chance. Plus it pisses me off to no end when I have to sit and wait for oncoming traffic to go by so I can go around people. At least if you move out of the way that's good, but there are two mothers who walk down my street at NIGHT with their strollers. It's freaking dark out and you have your babies and you are walking in the STREET. WTF?!

(Butler County)

I was visiting my sister in the big city and nearing her house. A group of teenagers were on the side of the street and started to nudge each other and then stepped into the street in front of us and continued to to walk slowly down the center of the street. We slowed down to give them them to actually cross the street but that did not seem to be their intention. Finally they started to go in a diagonal direction to get to the other side.
    Still very slowly.One of their mother were sitting on her porch and started to yell at us about how the whiteys (her words not mine) were trying to kill her babies. I yelled back that they were not babies but young men and if she were really worried, that she should get up off her ass and teach them how to cross the street like a normal person.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

There are kids in our neighborhood who will sit on their bikes in the street and just ride back and forth in the street. I sometimes ride up real slowly and give them a chance to move and if they don't lay on my horn. It's pretty funny to watch them pucker their butts when they hear it. It's not like they didn't know I was there. They just didn't think anyone would do anything about them being rude.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast