Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default A disgrace to Remington

We recently ordered 5 of the Remington SPR O/U shotguns. We got a hell of a deal on them and I couldnt wait to get them on the wall. When I opened the box I was shocked. I knew they were Russian imports but the quality was horrible. You could see machine marks all the way up the rib and on top of the receiver. The "engraving" that was done looked like someone gave an angry 5 year old a punch and a hammer. The wood on one of them must of had oil on it when the stained it because it was spotted all over the place. We called our distrubutor and they offered us 5% off the order, but we had to decline and we shipped them back. Over all they were horrible. If you weere going to pay $200 to $250 for the gun in retail then its not a bad deal but for a $500 gun you could buy a CZ Mallard which are excelent for about $20 more. I just dont see how a great company like Remington could put their name on such garbage at that kinda price. Like I said though they wouldnt be bad at a much cheaper price. Now I can see why they were on sale.
    14OO N. HERMITAGE RD, HERMITAGE,PA 724-962-1776......STOP BY AND SEE US SOME TIME

Default Re: A disgrace to Remington

Can't agree with ya on this one.

I got one as my first field gun, and an overall beater prob 3-4yrs ago for around $420 IIRC. While its a starter shotgun, its got quite alot of nice features for the price. It is just as sturdy as my more quality O/U's, has a great finish, beautiful wood and although the engraving of a clay on the side is simple it is very well struck. I would recommend one to anyone looking for a beater, or an entry level gun.

I assume you got a bad lot.

(Mercer County)

The engraving was checkering on top of the receiver. There wasn't any on the sides at all. Maybe the quality changed over the years but the one I got in were honestly horrible.
    14OO N. HERMITAGE RD, HERMITAGE,PA 724-962-1776......STOP BY AND SEE US SOME TIME

(Dauphin County)

Should have taken pictures so we can see.

(Mercer County)

I didnt think about it until after I boxed them up.

(Bucks County)

just a story i heard from somebody who used to work for remington. they had 2 areas where they produced their 870 model shotgun. one area used all high quality steel parts and what not, and one area where some of the steel parts were replaced with aluminimum and other low grade material, in non essential places, to reduce cost. the cheaper ones went to walmart, the good ones went everywhere else. well, at some point, something happened and the wrong ones went to the wrong place, unmarked, so some people expecting a high quality shotgun ended up getting aluminimum. i cant remember where i heard this, so i apologise if i saw this on this site somewhere if im coping off anyone, and be aware im also not sure on some of the finer details, but i belive the main part to be true
    i got shot, you should buy my stuff

(Bucks County)

I have handled these shotguns. The stocks resembled 2x4's. Hard as hell to open the actions. I agree with the poor quality. Like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(York County)

Yep, every one of them I have ever come across was absolute junk.

You were right about looking like a kid in shop class had their way with the finishing.

I had high hopes when these were first announced, but you are correct, it is a disgrace for Remington to be involved with these guns.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I never handled one of these, but my EX bought a Remington 597 foolishly thinking that a company like Remington wouldn't put out a piece of shit rifle.

Well, the rifle was actually sturdy and well-made, but the "metal" magazines were the biggest pieces of shit I have ever seen. I hope somebody makes aftermarket plastic mags for these now, because the stock mags ate complete garbage. You couldn't fire more than 2 or 3 shots without it jamming up and the mags were so soft they would get chewed up after a few trips to the range.

If anyone else has one of these they know what I'm talking about. I don't know what the hell someone was smoking when they designed them.

(Bucks County)

Sending the stuff out of the Country to be made as cheap as possible has one result; pur unadulterated crap.
    What the hell, at this rate we are going to hell in a ham basket anyway.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast