Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default If your PA LTCF is revoked, will other states' permits be revoked as well?

One of the many reasons for me to get the Utah carry permit is in case my PA LTCF gets revoked (for probably some silly reason). At least this was my thinking. Are there ANY laws from Utah or PA that say if one permit is revoked, the other will be as well? Will a PA revocation have a potential consequent in applying for other states' permits?

Thanks,
    Al

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: If your PA LTCF is revoked, will other states' permits be revoked as well?

Well I do know that you need a valid pa LTCF in order to apply for a NH license. Now I don't think they "know" in NH if your pa license is pulled...until you're up for a renewal for NH. BCI Instructor does a class that has something to do with getting a Utah license (I think?) and so he could tell you if you lose a Pa if your Utah would be pulled. I don't seem to think that it would be but I could be wrong. I mean, if your Pa has been revoked you can still GET one from Utah so... There is always good old Flori-duh too.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: If your PA LTCF is revoked, will other states' permits be revoked as well?

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    One of the many reasons for me to get the Utah carry permit is in case my PA LTCF gets revoked (for probably some silly reason). At least this was my thinking. Are there ANY laws from Utah or PA that say if one permit is revoked, the other will be as well? Will a PA revocation have a potential consequent in applying for other states' permits?

Thanks,
    Al
    I'm guessing that, unless it's some sort of actual crime arrest, it wouldn't show up on any computers in other states... so, if some local sheriff just decides he doesn't like your character and revokes your LTCF, that shouldn't affect any other state... unless when renewal time comes up the other state demands that you have an active home-state LTCF.

But I'll let others with superior experience chime in.

The only problem w/ FL permit is: $117 and 117 for renewals. Go with UT 65 new app and 10 renewal
    Last edited by radnor; September 23rd, 2008 at 02:43 PM.

(Erie County)

A quick check of Utah's CC law

53-5-704. Division duties -- Permit to carry concealed firearm -- Certification for concealed firearms instructor -- Requirements for issuance -- Violation -- Denial, suspension, or revocation -- Appeal procedure.
    (1) (a) The division or its designated agent shall issue a permit to carry a concealed firearm for lawful self defense to an applicant who is 21 years of age or older within 60 days after receiving an application, unless during the 60-day period the division finds proof that the applicant is not of good character.
    (b) The permit is valid throughout the state for five years, without restriction, except as otherwise provided by Section 53-5-710.
    (2) (a) An applicant satisfactorily demonstrates good character if the applicant:
    (i) has not been convicted of a felony;
    (ii) has not been convicted of a crime of violence;
    (iii) has not been convicted of an offense involving the use of alcohol;
    (iv) has not been convicted of an offense involving the unlawful use of narcotics or other controlled substances;
    (v) has not been convicted of an offense involving moral turpitude;
    (vi) has not been convicted of an offense involving domestic violence;
    (vii) has not been adjudicated by a state or federal court as mentally incompetent, unless the adjudication has been withdrawn or reversed; and
    (viii) is qualified to purchase and possess a firearm pursuant to Section 76-10-503 and federal law.
    (b) In assessing good character under Subsection (2)(a), the licensing authority shall consider mitigating circumstances.
    (3) (a) The division may deny, suspend, or revoke a concealed firearm permit if it has reasonable cause to believe that the applicant has been or is a danger to self or others as demonstrated by evidence, including:
    (i) past pattern of behavior involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence;
    (ii) past participation in incidents involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence; or
    (iii) conviction of an offense in violation of Title 76, Chapter 10, Part 5, Weapons.
    (b) The division may not deny, suspend, or revoke a concealed firearm permit solely for a single conviction for an infraction violation of Title 76, Chapter 10, Part 5, Weapons.
    (c) In determining whether the applicant has been or is a danger to self or others, the division may inspect:
    (i) expunged records of arrests and convictions of adults as provided in Section 77-18-15; and
    (ii) juvenile court records as provided in Section 78A-6-209.
    (d) (i) If a person granted a permit under this part has been charged with a crime of violence in any state, the division shall suspend the permit.
    (ii) Upon notice of the acquittal of the person charged, or notice of the charges having been dropped, the division shall immediately reinstate the suspended permit.
    (4) A former peace officer who departs full-time employment as a peace officer, in an honorable manner, shall be issued a concealed firearm permit within five years of that departure if the officer meets the requirements of this section.
    I don't see anything about reciprocal-revoking. Utah seems pretty specific for what is good character.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

(Northampton County)

the other state demands that you have an active home-state LTCF.
    I don't believe that Ut or Fla have this requirememt. I've known NJ residents with no NJ carry license who have a Fla carry license that they use to carry in PA.

PA requires that an out of state LTCF holder have a carry license in his home state if home state offers them.

If you get revoked for some bullshit like Greg or Melanie....just don't tell anyone you have a non resident license from another stste.
    Last edited by reverserboy; September 23rd, 2008 at 03:18 PM.

(Lebanon County)

If you get revoked for some bullshit like Greg or Melanie....just don't tell anyone you have a non resident license from another stste.
    Even if they DID know...they could not do anything about it...well depending on what other license it was. If it's a place like FL forget it. They can't touch it...I don't think anyway? Not the way it was explained to me. Same with Utah. Someone will surely correct me if I have this all wrong though.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by shefearsnothing View Post
    Even if they DID know...they could not do anything about it...well depending on what other license it was. If it's a place like FL forget it. They can't touch it...I don't think anyway? Not the way it was explained to me. Same with Utah. Someone will surely correct me if I have this all wrong though.
    Utah and Florida both specify specific criteria needed for a revocation, which in my opinion is awesome. NH is less safe, because their revocation clause is even more vague than ours.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...59/159-6-b.htm

159:6-b Suspension or Revocation of License. –
    I. The issuing authority may order a license to carry a loaded pistol or revolver issued to any person pursuant to RSA 159:6 to be suspended or revoked for just cause, provided written notice of the suspension or revocation and the reason therefore is given to the licensee. A licensee whose license has been suspended or revoked shall be permitted a hearing on such suspension or revocation if a hearing is requested by the licensee to the issuing authority within 7 days of the suspension or revocation.
    II. When the licensee hereunder ceases to be a resident of the community in which the license was issued he shall notify in writing the issuing authority at his new place of residence that he has a current license. Such license shall remain in effect until it expires pursuant to RSA 159:6.

(Philadelphia County)

Thank you all for replying. I am like all of you, suspecting that PA can't do anything with other states' permits, but am not 100% sure. When it comes to gun laws, anything less than 100% certainty is a cause for concern.

SFN, I am applying for my NH license soon and expecting to get my Utah license any day now.

Al

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    NH is less safe, because their revocation clause is even more vague than ours.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...59/159-6-b.htm
    Agreed, but there still is no indication anywhere that I've seen that a PA revocation is a de facto revocation of any other licenses you may hold. An uptight sheriff, etc., may contact other issuing states in an attempt to have those licenses suspended as well, but he (or anyone else in PA, including the Attorney General) has no authority over a credential that was not issued by Pa.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast