Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RATs Tourniquet

(Lancaster County)

Default RATs Tourniquet

I'm not sure if info has been posted on the RATs Tourniquet but...here's a short video on it.

(York County)

Default Re: RATs Tourniquet

Wow, that's stupid simple! Even for me. Thanks for sharing.

(Wayne County)

Hmmm. Thanks for posting. I sent them an email with a specific question, but imagine that I'll be buying a few to check out and use in my med kit and WFA classes.

I'm a little reluctant to believe that this will adequately stem flow in a leg wound quite as well as a CAT tourniquet, but I'm willing to try it. I can see where it would be ok for arm wounds. Plus, they look like they pack REALLY small, which is a good thing because you can carry more than one.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Washington County)

I'll stick to the CAT on belts and in gear/vehicles, and a TK4 when I need something small in the pocket.

It's funny, my coworker was on his computer next to me today and he was looking at CATs online. I pulled the one out of my jacket pocket and sat it in front of him with a grin. He has never used one and was thinking about getting one after his father-in-law got his arm mangled in a tractor PTO recently. I gave him a quick run down of how to use it. He was sold.

Tourniquets save lives.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Hmmm. Thanks for posting. I sent them an email with a specific question, but imagine that I'll be buying a few to check out and use in my med kit and WFA classes.

I'm a little reluctant to believe that this will adequately stem flow in a leg wound quite as well as a CAT tourniquet, but I'm willing to try it. I can see where it would be ok for arm wounds. Plus, they look like they pack REALLY small, which is a good thing because you can carry more than one.
    From what I have read and have been told those who would know it wont and there is a lot of information out there as to how shitty they perform in the field as compared to a CAT's.
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 5th, 2018 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I'll stick to the CAT on belts and in gear/vehicles, and a TK4 when I need something small in the pocket.

It's funny, my coworker was on his computer next to me today and he was looking at CATs online. I pulled the one out of my jacket pocket and sat it in front of him with a grin. He has never used one and was thinking about getting one after his father-in-law got his arm mangled in a tractor PTO recently. I gave him a quick run down of how to use it. He was sold.

Tourniquets save lives.
    I have a genetic blood disorder am prone to clotting and now will be on a heavy dose of blood thinners for life. I commute 3+ hours a day so my chances of being in a wreck are pretty high. I carry a CAT's in my work bag as well as one in each car with a emergency medical kit. Just make sure to get them from reputable medical supply sources and skip the $15 and $19.00 ebay and gun show deals since they tend to be fakes.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post

Tourniquets save lives.
    Yes they do! I was holding the hand of a man who was bleeding out in front of me. He was ejected from his car and thrown about 40 ft down an embankment. His leg looked like it went through a meat grinder. The medics were trying to get his mangled leg to stop bleeding. I heard he lost his leg, that was no surprise, the fact that he lived was. The tourniquet saved his life.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

The PA State Trooper Who was Shot in the Bethlehem area in November is alive because of a tourniquet he applied to himself.

(Lancaster County)

As I understand it, either the SOF T-Wide or CAT Tourniquet are a superior design to this but are of little use to those with narrow limbs (children, elderly adults, etc.). The RATs Tourniquet is also a great choice to our canine friends. It's always great to have both available for use.
    Last edited by ArmyVet; February 6th, 2018 at 06:56 AM.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    From what I have read and have been told those who would know it wont and there is a lot of information out there as to how shitty they perform in the field as compared to a CAT's.
    Yeah, I hadn't done any research on reviews on performance. I can see where it may have some utility, though. Even if it doesn't fully stop blood flow completely, there are times when you may need to reduce the main flow of blood long enough to put a pressure dressing in place to control the bleeding or to allow you to address another more life threatening situation such as performing CPR on another person who isn't breathing. There are multiple reasons to apply a tourniquet other than just severe bleeding.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast