Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Default CMP Garand grade questions

ok so ive been looking for a garand for quite some time and im looking for a decent shooter. a match quality gun or something so damned purty that id want it on my mantle peice is not what im looking for, just a decent solid shooter

so im wondering if anyone could suggest what grade to get from them, and if they've gotten that grade. if you have ordered from them and you have pics of it and what grade it is it would be greatly appreciated, because thats what im the most curious of because im not looking for new rolled right off the line and im not looking for "oh it was dug out of somewhere in bastogne' all cracked and rusted to hell

any responses would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for the run-ons
    thanks
    Russian 1954r SKS, Enfield No.4 mk1, CIA Galil, XDm-9

Default Re: CMP Garand grade questions

I know that this response is useless without a picture or two to support it, but a friend of mine who lurks here has purchased several rack grade rifles from the CMP and is very pleased with how they shoot. I have personally shot one of them. They are in decent shape and would seem to match what you are looking for. I also know "decent" is very objective, sorry I couldn't throw up a picture or two. Don't get ripped off at a gun show. Have you thought about driving out to the CMP? You could get your mitts on something, and then make up your mind.
    Jules

(Chester County)

I have a field grade and a service grade. Both shoot equally well and even have about the same MW. The field grade came with some crappy wood...crappy looking, but not falling apart or anything. I picked it out in person at the north store.

I'd go for a service grade unless you are going to go pick it out at the store. You will get a real nice rifle through mail order that way. You'd be taking a bigger chance with a lower grade. My H&R service grade could almost be graded a collector.

Go with a service. It's a bit more money, but you can't go wrong that way, especially if you only plan on buying one and no others ever again.

If you want pics, PM me and I'll email you some.

(Somerset County)

Service grade H & R from CMP South, happy with it. Buy the best grade you can afford, unless you can go to the store.

On my bench!

We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

George Orwell

(Berks County)

If I were you, I would spend a little bit more and get a service grade. I got a service grade Springfield that was made in 1955. It has some character marks in the stock, but it's beautiful to me. If I support it well in the prone or on a bench, I can occasionally keep an eight round clip in the X ring of a 100 yard target at 100 yards. The rifle is up to it whenever I am. That is using the surplus Greek ammo from CMP; match quality ammo just makes the group much tighter. I would not expect more from a Garand that is not a National Match model.

(Snyder County)

I just bought a service grade from CMP. It came with a new stock and is almost collector grade. Check out my pics:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/rifles-42...o-talking.html

(Lycoming County)

thanks for the imput guys, because i was stuck between the huge jump between the service and correct grade; because the 600 bucks would be easier to part with than the 900; ill more than likely end up going with the service grade thanks to your pictures and better descriptions than CMP because im fine with the stock and what not being a little dinged, i like my milsurps with a little character; like my enfield i have it looks like it has a story

In what your looking for, nothing less than Collector Grade!

(Lycoming County)

to those of you that have went to CMP north and bought a gun, if i were to go there and look for my own gun and i buy it there would i just be able to pay and go like in a gunstore or would there be some problem with me not being an ohio resident

(Centre County)

No problem not being a resident, these are classed different. You can order and they will send it directly to you as it is a long arm and the way it is classified it can be shipped across state lines without a problem. I got a service grade that after examining, it is probably closer (much closer) to a correct grade. I was thrilled with what I got.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member