Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Non Resident NFA Application

Can an owner of property in PA, but a non resident of PA, apply for a NFA stamp?

Assuming item will never leave PA, and the residency of applicant is a non permissive shithole.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: Non Resident NFA Application

Probably the best person to answer this is xringshooter. I'm pretty sure he has given examples before with college folks around State College.

I'm new to the SOT game, so I don't offer anything as fact, but I think if that person can buy a handgun here, they can buy NFA here. I don't think property is enough, I think part time residency is required.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Lackawanna County)

I’d tend to agree but I’m not an expert either. I believe there are some residency requirements.

(Armstrong County)

I've never dealt with this either, so I am unsure as well. But I would imagine dual residency would be needed.
    And even then I'm not sure if there would be stipulation on amount of time at each location to be considered dual residency.

Just move, probably easier lol

Second thought, should be no different than an enlisted individual stationed out of state and keeping items in a safe or safety deposit box in their home state.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Can an owner of property in PA, but a non resident of PA, apply for a NFA stamp?

Assuming item will never leave PA, and the residency of applicant is a non permissive shithole.
    I once read an article about some gun owners in CA doing that. I recall it’s said they set up a corporation in another state and register the class three devices under the name of the corporation. I don’t know if it’s true or all the details but it sounds plausible.

(Centre County)

If you can claim dual residency, that is if you own property in two different states, have homes on the properties, pay the real estate taxes and live in the homes at different times of the year, then you would be considered a dual state resident. When you are residing in one of the homes you are considered a resident of that state according to the BATFE (and PA), even if you don't have a PA drivers license (the tax statements fulfill the requirement). As such, while you are living in your PA abode, you can file Form 1's and Form 4's with the BATFE using your PA address. I have done this several times for dual state residents (NY, FL, IL, but not NJ). I first time I did it I called the NFA Branch and talked to them about it and how to go about it. Actually, if it is for a suppressor, you don't even go through the PSP when the background check is done because PA does not class suppressors as firearms. So PA FFL/SOT's are allowed to use the NICS system to do the BGCs (we are locked out of NICS for everything except doing "other" (NFA) BGCs).

Just remember, just because you own property in PA does not make you a PA resident - you must have an abode with a street/mailing address and live there when you are in the state. I do not think a hunting camp is considered an abode by PA, but I'm not sure about that.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

Have been giving thought to buying a house in PA to avoid wife paying rent as she does now. That gave me the idea of looking into suppressor stuff.

Cannot fully "move" to PA as it would then negate my ability to use the ranges in NJ etc

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Have been giving thought to buying a house in PA to avoid wife paying rent as she does now. That gave me the idea of looking into suppressor stuff.

Cannot fully "move" to PA as it would then negate my ability to use the ranges in NJ etc
    Use of ranges make it worth being a resident of NJ ? Must be some dang nice ranges ...

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtwalker View Post
    Use of ranges make it worth being a resident of NJ ? Must be some dang nice ranges ...
    No, there is more to the story but thats not relevant. Big one is job, so would be sticking around NJ for awhile, and if I changed residency to PA I would be forced to move all firearms there and not have access to em during week.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtwalker View Post
    Must be some dang nice ranges ...
    no one is ever shooting there
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast