Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Oddly Enough News: Pakistan: 11 dead, 100 injured in kite flying festival

http://www.breakingnews.ie/World/?jp=CWSNSNGBGBSN

At least 11 people died and more than 100 people were injured at an annual spring festival in eastern Pakistan celebrated with the flying of thousands of colourful kites, officials said today.

The deaths and injuries were caused by stray bullets, sharpened kite-strings, electrocution and people falling off rooftops yesterday at the conclusion of the two-day Basant festival, said Ruqia Bano, spokeswoman for emergency service in the city of Lahore.

The festival is regularly marred by casualties caused by sharp kite strings or celebratory gunshots fired into the air.

Kite flyers often use strings made of wire or coated with ground glass to try to cross and cut a rival’s string or damage the other kite, often after betting on the outcome.

Authorities temporarily lifted a ban on kite flying that was imposed last year following a string of deaths at the festival.

Lahore Mayor Mian Amier Mahmood said that the two-day permission to fly kites ended yesterday and the ban has been re-imposed.

Police arrested more than 700 people for using sharpened kite strings or firing guns and seized 282 illegally held weapons during this year’s festival, said Aftab Cheema, a senior Lahore police officer.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Berks County)

Default Re: Oddly Enough News: Pakistan: 11 dead, 100 injured in kite flying festival

Un-freaking-believable! I don't know which is worse the morons using sharpened wire as kite string(s), the morons firing shots blindly into the air, or the government for outlawing kite flying. The really scary part is that this is the type of mind-set of the terrorists that our troops, and to a lesser degree all of us, are facing.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Oddly Enough News: Pakistan: 11 dead, 100 injured in kite flying festival

Interesting side note that the Taliban (set up and supported by Pakistan) deemed flying a kite a sin, punishable by death.

Me thinks me be holding on to me guns

Reeminds me to never tell a paki to go fly a kite!!!
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Perry County)

Only in the middle-east can the flying of a kite be banned. Let me guess...

1. The hard-liner muzzies consider it an offense to Allah?
    2. It sexualizes women?
    3. It will lead young boys to homosexuality?

What a screwed up culture!

Dave G.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special