Quote Originally Posted by John R. View Post
My wife is taking a new position in Harrisburg, so we’ll be moving somewhere in that vicinity after January. I probably won’t make it up there until March. We are from the MS Delta so I’m sure it will be an adjustment. I’m a retired welding instructor, and currently manage Bills Custom Automatics in Shelby, MS. The shop specializes in custom 1911’s, custom bolt guns, and custom AR’s. I will be looking for work when I arrive. I’m also an avid hunter/shooter. I would love to make some contacts in the area. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to our new endeavor!
Welcome. As a native Southerner (SE Arkansas, could toss a rock 'cross the river to MS) myself, I suspect you'll like the place and find more things familiar and comfortable than not. One of my favorite things is that you can easily be in a 'suburban' area within 10 mins of downtown, and even a semi-rural area within 15-20.

I live in the Hburg area and have for about 15 years. I moved here from the northeast 'megalopolis' and never looked back. Best thing we ever did.

Feel free to get in touch about any questions, specifics about where to live, how different zones vary, etc. as you approach the move.

You may encounter some dubiousness when moving in. I know it took a solid 10 years before I wasn't thought of as a 'furriner' by most, and there's a good dose of folks 'round here that will -never- accept me because I didn't grow up here and/or go to high school with them. I'm still not allowed to join the monthly 'poker night' in my neighborhood because I'm not a graduate of the local high school. Yeah, I get that, even if I don't like it.

I absolutely get that many folks here are suspect of 'outsiders' moving in, especially those from states beginning with "New," Too many of them come here but then wanna make it just like the ***hole they left. But I suspect coming from MS versus parts northeast, you'll find it pretty comfy and familiar. And bonding with the gun-owning community won't hurt one bit either!

FWIW, the quickest piece of advice I can give you is this: If the mailing address of a place you're looking is actually "Harrisburg, PA"... don't. Many very nice places to be within 10-20 mins of your wife's job (assuming it's in Hburg proper) that aren't Hburg.