Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 creedmoor

Default 6.5 creedmoor

Being new to this forum I've noticed some discussion about the creedmoor, I have a Savage trophy hunter with a Leopold vx-1,which I just happened to take to the range yesterday to make sure everything was OK for deer season 3 shots 3 shots touching with Hornady American whitetail ammo. Im kind of miffed that someone using the same ammo in a axis with a Boyd's at one stock said he was trying to tame down the recoil
    Just my opinion if someone thinks a 6.5 creedmoor needs to be tamed down , maybe they should stick to bow hunting also someone said the creedmoor was useless and recommended a 243 again just my opinion the 243 can't compete with the creedmoor

(Wayne County)

Default Re: 6.5 creedmoor

The 6.5 CM is an excellent deer cartridge. Last year I killed 3 deer with my Browning X bolt in 6.5 CM 2 deer were DRT and one went about 30 yards and dropped. Recoil is about the same as a heavy bullet in a 243 with my rifle. That caliber is good but the 6.5 CM will do everything a 243 will and more at further ranges with better accuracy.

The 6.5CM is the flavor of the month...I own two and like them, but to say the 243 cannot compete is silly at best. Compete in what way? Both will kill PA whitetail and you are talking about hunting applications. You aren't getting long distance shots hunting in PA, so not sure what you are comparing?

A dead deer is a dead deer. The deer isn't going to care what you used to kill it. There have been more deer killed with a 243 vs a 6.5CM over the years, so that's another FACT.

At the end of the day, shot placement trumps caliber as caliber is a personal preference. You can have a 50BMG, but if you make a crappy shot, it's not going to matter at what range or KE the caliber has to offer.

(Westmoreland County)

Perceived recoil is different for everyone and and each type of rifle , just because you don't have issues with it don't mean someone else shooting a completely different rifle will feel that recoil the same. And why should you be miffed at that anyways? As it's been said yes it is a good caliber for many applications and is better than others at longer ranges . Don't take a lot to kill a skinny little deer that maybe goes 150 lb on average . A lot less calibers have killed lots more game all around the world since the late 1800's , let's face facts here in Pa our average shot is from 10 feet out to 200yds for 90 percent of us hunters were not taking 400 yd shots across canyons . If you like the caliber then great it's a good one indeed but don't be all butt hurt because someone else don't share your enthusiasm . Btw I shoot a 35 Rem with a whopping 2000 fps MV And think it kills better than anything else . But I'm not gonna tell the guy using a 30-30 he's a fool .

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    The 6.5CM is the flavor of the month...I own two and like them, but to say the 243 cannot compete is silly at best. Compete in what way? Both will kill PA whitetail and you are talking about hunting applications. You aren't getting long distance shots hunting in PA, so not sure what you are comparing?

A dead deer is a dead deer. The deer isn't going to care what you used to kill it. There have been more deer killed with a 243 vs a 6.5CM over the years, so that's another FACT.

At the end of the day, shot placement trumps caliber as caliber is a personal preference. You can have a 50BMG, but if you make a crappy shot, it's not going to matter at what range or KE the caliber has to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    Perceived recoil is different for everyone and and each type of rifle , just because you don't have issues with it don't mean someone else shooting a completely different rifle will feel that recoil the same. And why should you be miffed at that anyways? As it's been said yes it is a good caliber for many applications and is better than others at longer ranges . Don't take a lot to kill a skinny little deer that maybe goes 150 lb on average . A lot less calibers have killed lots more game all around the world since the late 1800's , let's face facts here in Pa our average shot is from 10 feet out to 200yds for 90 percent of us hunters were not taking 400 yd shots across canyons . If you like the caliber then great it's a good one indeed but don't be all butt hurt because someone else don't share your enthusiasm . Btw I shoot a 35 Rem with a whopping 2000 fps MV And think it kills better than anything else . But I'm not gonna tell the guy using a 30-30 he's a fool .
    These pretty much sum this up. Well said, the both of you.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ianb1116 View Post
    These pretty much sum this up. Well said, the both of you.
    Have either of (the both of you) shot deer with both 243 and 6.5 CM? In this neck of the woods where shots can be as close as under your tree stand to 8 or 900 yards on the power lines you had better know what your rifle and caliber can or cannot do.
    Last edited by Badger Tuff; November 9th, 2017 at 09:19 PM.

(Bucks County)

Step right in with a confrontational position first post. You will go far in POOFA!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Tuff View Post
    Have either of (the both of you) shot deer with both 243 and 6.5 CM? In this neck of the woods where shots can be as close as under your tree stand to 8 or 900 yards on the power lines you had better know what your rifle and caliber can or cannot do.
    I have zero issues with anyone using what they feel is the "best" for what they are doing be it target or hunting and at sane range's when it comes to hunting and btw 8-900 yd hunting shot is not . Again the new 6.5 is a good one and has advantages at longer ranges than some others . But at normal hunting ranges let's even stretch it out to 300yd across a field of power line the advantages the ctg has are not all that great compared to similar other medium cal rounds i.e. 6.5 sweede, 260 Rem ,243 ,270 ,7-08 ect.At shorter ranges 0-300 yds.
    And yes I've shot deer with a 243 and killed the just as dead as others I've shot with several other calibers 270, 308, 30-06 , 7 mag ,32 spl. , 35 Rem , 45 cal flintlock and bow . All only needed one shot some dropped in their tracks others took a few steps and a few took the infamous 8 second death run . Point being a lot of calibers can and will do the job sane distances . If you snipe for deer on a power line at 600 yds then the 6.5 would indeed be better than 243 I don't hunt in that manner so either will be just as good as the other for me and as I stated prob 90 percent of the hunters in Pa.

I grew up working on a farm and it's highly doubtful you are getting a 900 yard shot in a hunting application in PA. I feel very comfortable taking game animals for long range, but not in the NE. I will save that for out West hunting. If you cannot get on game closer than 900 yards in PA, you are doing it wrong.

If the trusty 243 will take any PA whitetail, the .264 bullets will also not have any issues.

As I stated before, shot placement trumps the latest/greatest caliber. I just think OP is one of those people that doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to ballistics and hunting.

There are plenty of calibers that will take care of PA whitetail without having to get the latest/greatest gear.

(Lycoming County)

I went 7mm-08 back before creedmore was a thing myself. I have no complaints. Realistically anything in the 6mm-8mm caliber range is perfectly suitable for whitetail in PA. When I've hunted farm land the longest shot I took was between 200-250. The 7mm preformed fine as would the 6.5 or 243. I can see much farther there, but imho taking shots at game at 6,7,800 yds is just unethical. Too many variables that could lead to a wounded deer. For most of my life I hunted with a 30-30 and had zero issues too. Most shots I get probably average 40+75yds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast