Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Question Oversize .45 Primers

I recently picked up a handful (dozen or so?) of .45 ACP cases after a match that had what appear to be larger than normal primers. I already use only Large Pistol primers and bypass Small primer, but these look another step larger.

The headstamp only reads "EXTREME".
    <CORRECTION: it reads "X-TREME">

Anybody know what I'm dealing with?

Brass.jpg
    Small, Large, Extreme?
    Last edited by Sgt.K; October 18th, 2017 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Spelling, added photo

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Oversize .45 Primers

I have only seen large and small, waiting to see the pictures.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Susquehanna County)

not for nothing but that is why your calipers have inside and outside measuring capability! 0.210" diameter is typical for large pistol primers, much bigger than that let us know.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

i have not heard of a bigger primer than "large".

But while you are at it look inside the case. I found some 9mm brass that has a "step" in the case to stop bullet setback. I believe they were Extreme also,

With cases like this you have a thicker base with reduced powder capacity. That will give you higher pressure. Now I have to sort all of my 9mm brass. I wouldn't want to put a moderate / hot load into a reduced case.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post

But while you are at it look inside the case. I found some 9mm brass that has a "step" in the case to stop bullet setback. I believe they were Extreme also,

With cases like this you have a thicker base with reduced powder capacity. That will give you higher pressure. Now I have to sort all of my 9mm brass. I wouldn't want to put a moderate / hot load into a reduced case.
    I'm familiar with cannelured cases, but that's the first I ever heard of a step! More detail would be appreciated!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    not for nothing but that is why your calipers have inside and outside measuring capability! 0.210" diameter is typical for large pistol primers, much bigger than that let us know.
    Yah, I gotta find my caliper, that's why I'm asking...

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    I recently picked up a handful (dozen or so?) of .45 ACP cases after a match that had what appear to be larger than normal primers. I already use only Large Pistol primers and bypass Small primer, but these look another step larger.

The headstamp only reads "EXTREME".
    <CORRECTION: it reads "X-TREME">

Anybody know what I'm dealing with?

Brass.jpg
    Small, Large, Extreme?
    Small, Large, Large. Optical illusion due to silver vs brass color at right, and all brass at center.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Small, Large, Large. Optical illusion due to silver vs brass color at right, and all brass at center.

Noah
    I am with Noah, looks like there might be a crimp on the x-treme that emphasizes the illusion.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I'm familiar with cannelured cases, but that's the first I ever heard of a step! More detail would be appreciated!
    If you look in the case you will see the neck thickness is the same as any other cases. But it is only as deep as where the bullet seats. After that there is a step and the brass where the powder goes is much thicker (2-3x thicker). I don't remember the 9mm cases that had it but it may have been xtreme or (something like) Outland, Outdoors?

I was cursing when I saw this. Now everytime I reload a 9 I have to place every case right side up on my bench then use a flashlight to pick the stepped ones out.

I heard this is to avoid bullet setback. It is impossible for the bullet to go any farther into the case with the step. But it is a bomb waiting to happen with a hot load.

You might have problems seating a longer bullet too.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post

I have run into that with brass headstamped A-Merc.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast