Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is there a Quality Difference

When it comes to pistol ammo for target does it make that big of a difference?
    More accurate?
    Cleaner?
    Not shooting long enough to tell so whats the answer.

Default Re: Is there a Quality Difference

Depends on what ammo/caliber you're shooting and at what distances and what you're shooting at....more info please

(Union County)

Depends on what kinda target practice yer talkin' bout. Just putting holes in paper or precision target shooting and wanting to maximize the potential of a target pistol? If you just want to practice for more trigger time, sight picture and the fundamentals, then No, not a whole lot. If your talking about practicing for target competition and want to know what your true ability is then absolutely.

Thanks Guys 45ACP out of a Kimber Gold Match II
    To answer the Questions I am looking for a Quality Practice that will maximize or should I say not make the ammo the problem also clean is not a bad thing would also like a recommendation For Serious Target Ammo that way can start to see the difference.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    would also like a recommendation For Serious Target Ammo that way can start to see the difference.
    My 1911 likes the Black Hills Remanufactured 200 Grain Match Semi-Wadcutter. It's not as cheap as loading your own, but they are very accurate for a reasonable price.

This link will take you to the MidwayUSA page for the stuff I am talking about: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=156467

Thanks Loading my own is along way off if ever right now.

(Allegheny County)

you can put out some pretty good pistol ammo with a cheap lee press.theres always 45acp casings all over the ground at ranges for free.the carbide dies are pricey and so are the slugs.at 45acp velocities you can use berry's plated bullets instead of jacketed ones and save alot of money.in my experience crappy handloads are = to typical factory rounds and once you perfect your loads you will be way ahead of anything you can buy already made.

As much as I would enjoy learning to do my own what extra time I can muster up I want to be shooting. :-)

(Berks County)

I don't own a .45, but all three of my .40s respond very well to Blazer Brass FMJ. It's the cheapest thing I've found at the local Wally World (about $.26/round after tax) , and far cleaner than WWB. I've never had a single failure and accuracy is quite good for factory ammo in several thousand rounds fired. I won't shoot WWB again, and probably not Fiocchi either (although I like their brass)...just too dirty.

For personal defense practice rounds, Ammoman.com has a good deals on Speer Gold Dots in bulk. Again, that's for .40S&W...no experience to offer with a .45 aside from sharing guns at the range.

I started reloading this month and have found that I can make ammo that is more accurate than what I can buy. And for half the price. Every gun and shooter are different though...test and enjoy before buying in bulk.
    Last edited by Gi14; September 20th, 2008 at 06:13 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

If you are shooting NRA bullseye with 50 yd. Slow Fire and 25 yd. timed and rapid, quality high ammo will make a difference once you get into Sharpshooter class or higher. In fact it will help get you there faster. But everything has to hang together, pistol performance, ammo performance and shooter performance make or break the combination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast