Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Leaked: Glock 46

(From GunsAmerica emailed to me on September 29th, 2017):

Rumor has it that Glock has a new 9mm pistol in the works. As in, a different kind of handgun. It looks like Glock is working on an all-new design with a new operating system.

Designed for the German Police, the Glock 46 looks somewhat similar to a Glock 19. A mid-size service pistol, the Glock 46 borrows from multiple generations and adds a few new ones as well.

Several standout features on the frame include a straight grip without any fingergrooves. Also the frame has a long, integral beavertail on the backstrap. And the front of the grip doesn’t have a magazine removal cutout, either, which can pinch fingers when reloading.

The Glock 46 is ambidextrous where it counts, at the slide release, and it has a reversible magazine button. It also has an enlarged trigger housing and thinner, flatter trigger.

The updated design also doesn’t require users to pull the trigger during disassembly. This is a major safety concern, particularly for military, police and other agency users. All around the Glock 46 looks easier to handle with better ergonomics.

What’s really different is the gun’s operation. The Glock 46 doesn’t use a Browning-style tilting barrel locking system. It’s built around a cam-actuated rotating barrel action.

Only a small number of modern handguns use a rotating barrel lockup. Rotating barrels are less common but offer a smoother locking system. Because the barrel doesn’t tilt it also generates less recoil.

Combined with the enlarged beavertail backstrap and Glock’s archetypal low bore axis the Glock 46 promises to be one of the softest shooting service pistols in production.

The big question is if, or when, will this gun be available to consumers? Obviously, the Glock 46 is a Glock 19 killer, so with the recent introduction of the Gen 5 Glock 19 Glock has little reason to compete with itself.

Still, with its unusual operating system and frankly, best of the best Glock ergonomics, it would be foolish for the company to avoid selling this to the public. A lot of buyers are ready to give Glock their money for a gun like this, including people who swore off Glock entirely.

We have to wonder if the Glock 46 is the tip of the iceberg, since there’s no mention of a Glock 44 or Glock 45. If the Glock 46 follows the Glock 19, than the Glock 44 could be a full-size rotating barrel pistol and the Glock 45 could be a machine pistol.

While it may not happen tomorrow or next month or even this year, Glock would have to have serious doubts not to bring this gun to the American market.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Leaked: Glock 46

Never had a problem with getting pinched while reloading a magazine. Never knew it was a problem until I read about it. And, having to pull the trigger to disassemble being a big scary thing really ANNOYS the shit out of me. If that is a problem, then so is the many experts encouraging dry-firing practice at home.

(Jefferson County)

Rotating barrel would also favor the suppressor life-style. Tilting barrels do not like the extra mass of a suppressor hanging off the end.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Rotating barrel would also favor the suppressor life-style. Tilting barrels do not like the extra mass of a suppressor hanging off the end.
    On the other hand, I would imagine that threaded suppressors would either loosen, or get really tight. The Colt submission to the Offensive Handgun Weapon System trials (which the HK Mk23 eventually won) used a rotating barrel, and the whole attachment system was kinda wonky.

(Indiana County)

OH NOES!!!! It’s so scary pulling a trigger after checking that the gun is empty...

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    OH NOES!!!! It’s so scary pulling a trigger after checking that the gun is empty...
    I’ve been told I’m “old, ignorant of sage handling and stuck in my ways” because I’ll joke off the hand wringing.
    I’ll mention dry fire exercises and I get eye rolled and told “That’s different”

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    On the other hand, I would imagine that threaded suppressors would either loosen, or get really tight. The Colt submission to the Offensive Handgun Weapon System trials (which the HK Mk23 eventually won) used a rotating barrel, and the whole attachment system was kinda wonky.

That is a possibility. Designers of suppressors do have means to keep that from happening. ....a detent, lock nuts, etc.

Whereas with tilting barrels, on some guns the firearm wont cycle reliable without a Nielsen device which adds unwanted mass. Or you have to use really hot ammo, which is counter intuitive when using a suppressor.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

A Glock that isn't a Glock is a Glock I'd consider buying!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    I’ve been told I’m “old, ignorant of sage handling and stuck in my ways” because I’ll joke off the hand wringing.
    I’ll mention dry fire exercises and I get eye rolled and told “That’s different”
    Yeah, I’m far more leery lowering the hammer on a live round than after checking that the gun is empty pulling the trigger to disassemble it.

And I have also gotten the “it’s different” line more than once.
    Must be a common line of thinking among the anti-Glock crowd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast