Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Holsters

Default Ankle Holsters

I'm thinking of getting an Ankle holster. Looking for opinions on what's good, what's bad etc. Interested in comfort and firearm security, don't want my gun falling out. Currently have a PPK and Taurus 357 revolver that I could use, but if something else is best gun for ankle carry I'll consider another pistol purchase.

Default Re: Ankle Holsters

Never tried one, but the Galco ankle glove always seems to get good press.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Allegheny County)

I use a DeSantis Apache everyday for my Kahr P9 Covert. I have had this holster on for more than 12 hours, ran as fast as a 58 year old plumber can run to get to my cartruck in a rainstorm. It is pretty comfortable and secures the gun well. Presentations aren't too bad either.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Adams County)

I use a Fobus ankle holster for my Smith and Wesson 637 every day that I work. I do carry it in a different place then most others, reverse grip on the inside of my strong hand ankle, because it is there for very specific reasons. It is totally secure, strong, and comfortable. And, they aren't that expensive.

(Allegheny County)

Here, I'll copy and paste from a previous post on the subject:

I don't carry my G27 in an ankle holster, but I too, highly recommend the Galco Ankle Glove.

I've had mine for about 5 years and I can't imagine a more comfortable ankle holster. I tried on many "lesser" models and just couldn't imagine myself wanting one of them on my leg for more than a few minutes. I carry my Colt Pony in one when I can't carry it on my hip due to type of clothing being worn. I've worn the Ankle Glove for 10 hours, and it is very comfortable. Expensive? I think so, but it was worth every penny.

What Marc said about an "ankle weight" made me laugh... it takes some getting used to. At first, I used to clunk my leg on the door sill when I was getting in my car because that little bit of added weight "throws you off", since there's now an "ankle weight" strapped to your leg! LOL

Ankle holsters are not ideal, but better than leaving your gun at home.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Dauphin County)

+1 for them not being ideal. I've noticed one of the problems a lot of people face while practicing draw with an ankle holster is that they tend to take their eyes off the target while drawing from the ankle holster.

This is why they're not my first choice for carry. In fact, I don't even own one anymore. A good IWB holster has always worked for me.

I guess though if you want to keep your shirt tucked in and not wear a jacket/other cover garment; then in that case they have their purpose.

My recommendation would be Galco or Bianchi (their leather line).

-38SnubFan

I have used the DeSantis Apache and have no complaints with it. I have seen them for $25 and consider them a good value. I carry a 642 in it when I ankle carry. Sandals and shorts season puts a damper on ankle carry for me.

Rick

My job is very physical and demands ultra secure cc, so I typically don't use my IWB holster (which I agree is more accessible and comfy than ankle rigs).
    I've used the Desantis ankle holster off and on for the past 3 years to carry my KelTec P11. Initially it tended to slip down and bother me, but I've learned to pull it TIGHT for worry-free carry (even when running). I like the forward cant in the Desantis, and retention has been fine.
    I recently bought an Unkle Mike's ankle holster and (so far) don't like it as well. Retention and support are fine but there is very little forward cant, which makes it difficult to position the weapon without the butt end printing on the pant cuff. Also, one of the retention straps has a sharp end that's bothering my calf- something I've gotta fix. As I recall, prices for these 2 holsters were similar, about 25 bucks.

(Dauphin County)

I have an ankle holster incase a situation arises where i would not be able to carry IWB or OWB or pocket carry, and thats really the only reason i have one. They dont seem to practical if you had to draw to save your life.

(Berks County)

For the size of gun youre looking at carrying, Id vote pocket over ankle. Faster, more stable access, reliable conceal with a slip-in pocket holster, and no limp. Guns like KelTecs P38, P3at, and P9 really excel here, because theyre cheap, rugged, light, and tiny. Also k-frames and similar with shrouded hammers if you want wheelgun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast