Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Attorney General Corbett launches gun violence program in Lancaster

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/press.aspx?id=3932

Attorney General Corbett launches gun violence program in Lancaster

LANCASTER - A new gun violence program, created by the Office of Attorney General, was launched today in Lancaster.

Attorney General Tom Corbett said the program known as "Think Again: Gun Violence and Straw Purchasing," will educate the community on the dangers of gun violence and the effects of straw purchasing.

Corbett explained that a straw purchase occurs when someone buys a gun for an individual, who is not legally allowed to possess a firearm due to a prior criminal conviction.

"When you purchase a gun for a criminal and that gun is used to kill someone, it is as if you pulled the trigger yourself," Corbett said. "Our message today is simple. If you are asked to buy a gun for someone, think again."

The program includes a DVD, which shows the harsh realities and consequences of gun violence through candid interview's with a victim's mother, trauma surgeon and law enforcement.

Earlier this summer Corbett, along with Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham, officially launched the Think Again program in Philadelphia.

To tackle the escalating problem of gun violence and homicides in Philadelphia, two years ago Corbett formed the Philadelphia Gun Violence Task Force and partnered with the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office and the Philadelphia Police Department. As part of the program, Corbett hired 26 agents, who are primarily retired homicide investigators, to work hand-in-hand with the Philadelphia police on gun related crimes.

To date the Philadelphia Gun Violence Task Force has made 203 arrests; confiscated 442 illegally obtained firearms and initiated 728 investigations.

"Gun violence is not exclusively a Philadelphia problem," Corbett said. "Lancaster, York and Harrisburg have seen firsthand the effects gun violence can have on our communities. This is a problem that we see in cities and towns throughout Pennsylvania."

"It is not enough to investigate and prosecute criminals we need to educate the public, especially our children, about the dangers associated with gun violence," Corbett said.

Corbett explained that the "Think Again" program will be rolled out in communities across Pennsylvania to promote a sense of awareness about the consequences and tragedies related to gun violence and straw purchasing.

Presentations are available, free of charge, by contacting the Attorney General's Education and Outreach Unit at 1-800-525-7642 or by emailing education@attorneygeneral.gov.

(York County)

Default Re: Attorney General Corbett launches gun violence program in Lancaster

I've seen several versions of the DVD as it has progressed to the one they are distributing now. My good friend shot all the still images for the program and let me see the ruff versions as they were putting it all together.
    The first version I saw as obviously very anti-gun, period. It really had nothing to do with straw sales. I voiced my opinion about this and my buddy agreed. Corbett must have thought so too, because the anti-gun fuhrer was toned down in the last version. Corbett's role is straight forward, if you buy a gun for someone else and they use it in a crime, you're doing the same time as the shooter. The only interview on the program that I would have liked to see disappear is with a trauma doc out of Philly. Basically her opinion was all guns are bad and must be gone.
    If you get the chance to watch it, do so.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

I like that they are trying to educate people about the impact of straw purchases, but I fear this is more of indoctrination than education. I will have to see the DVD to make a judgement though. I think the straw purchase conviction should carry the same sentence as the crime committed with the illegally purchased firearm.

(York County)

That's exactly what Corbett is trying to do. Same crime same time

Quote Originally Posted by jpavoncello View Post
    That's exactly what Corbett is trying to do. Same crime same time
    I would like to see that happen. Maybe that would be a better way to control "gun violence" instead of impeading my right to purchase firearms legally.

(Lehigh County)

This might be one of the better ideas of the "got to control gun violence" crowd.

After all, it's common knowledge that the vast majoity of criminals using guns in their "trade" didn't get them legally, so there must be a big factor of staw purchasing going on.

Trouble now is, how do you build prisons big and fast enough when every crime is a 2-for-1 deal?

Maybe the days of exile to a remote island will be making a comeback?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post
    This might be one of the better ideas of the "got to control gun violence" crowd.

After all, it's common knowledge that the vast majoity of criminals using guns in their "trade" didn't get them legally, so there must be a big factor of staw purchasing going on.

Trouble now is, how do you build prisons big and fast enough when every crime is a 2-for-1 deal?

Maybe the days of exile to a remote island will be making a comeback?
    Easy. You fence off California and NJ and make them the penal colonies. We don't need those two places anyway.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Easy. You fence off California and NJ and make them the penal colonies. We don't need those two places anyway.
    Snake Plisskin approves!