Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Applying for LTCF but ID different address

So here the deal:

I moved to Centre County a little over a year and a half ago. My ID currently has my old Pittsburgh address. When I first moved to State College, I went to the dmv and got an ID update paper that showed my new address. Now just a few months ago I moved to a new place and I haven't had a chance to get a new one yet.

I can't make it to the Sheriff's office during their hours, so I'm planning to send in the LTCF forms and they need a copy of my ID. Do you know if this will be a problem? Do I need to find time to get to the dmv (might be a few weeks before I could) and get the ID update or is the ID for identification only and they'll run it and see my new address?

Obviously I'd like to get to the dmv to get the new papers (or maybe just a new ID) but I dunno how soon I can do that.

Thanks for any help

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Applying for LTCF but ID different address

They seem to be very adamant about "current address" on any ID shown when buying a gun or applying for a LTCF. I remember being specifically asked during both processes recently.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by scuba264 View Post
    So here the deal:

I moved to Centre County a little over a year and a half ago. My ID currently has my old Pittsburgh address. When I first moved to State College, I went to the dmv and got an ID update paper that showed my new address. Now just a few months ago I moved to a new place and I haven't had a chance to get a new one yet.

I can't make it to the Sheriff's office during their hours, so I'm planning to send in the LTCF forms and they need a copy of my ID. Do you know if this will be a problem? Do I need to find time to get to the dmv (might be a few weeks before I could) and get the ID update or is the ID for identification only and they'll run it and see my new address?

Obviously I'd like to get to the dmv to get the new papers (or maybe just a new ID) but I dunno how soon I can do that.

Thanks for any help
    I highly doubt that the sheriff's office will accept an ID with one address on it, and your form filled out with a different address.

And FWIW, you legally only have 15 days to get your address changed (or a new address correction card) from the DMV. You can get fined if you don't and are caught.

You can go here and do the address change online. Then print out a temporary driver's license update card. Then in a couple days, PennDOT will send you a new card in the mail. No need to goto the DMV and wait in line anymore. I did this a year ago. Placed the small fee on my credit card, and got a new card in the mail in a couple days. Worked great.

My suggestion is to get your address changed officially and then there is no worries. You can have your address changed online, the temp form printed out, and the LTCF application in the mail tonight.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Zef, thats perfect...thanks so much. I just went to that site and changed my info in like 15 seconds haha. I printed out my temp and it says I'll get a change of address card within 10 days.

Thanks again.