Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: SGL#127 GOULDSBORO State Run Shooting Range is OPEN!

Yes, its three rounds in a rifle and six rounds in a handgun, any handgun.

This is copied directly from the PGC web site;

Users should also practice good shooting etiquette. The regulation, for example, that limits a shooter to having no more than three rounds in a rifle (six in a handgun) may not seem to make much sense.

What it does, though, is give shooters a chance to check their targets without having to wait for those who may want to shoot long strings. This same regulation prohibits people using firearms with large capacity magazines from monopolizing time on the range, and also causing inordinate damage, particularly to backstops.

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks Gary, I was getting sick of driving up there. That road always knocks a filling or two loose.

(Lackawanna County)

Way to go, Steve!

Thanks.

And now I see the reasoning.

I was griping about the 6 round limit cuz I'd rather load my magazine once with 13 rounds rather than twice at 6 rounds per!
    That makes a difference when my intent is to burn through 200 rounds 9mm & 200 rounds .45acp this week!
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    the archbald range has those rules posted right in front of the handgun range, plus a couple of other rules i can't remember. does anyone know if that one's open yet, by the way? nevermind, i'm taking a drive up today to check.

bah....it's still closed! muddy frisbees....

(Lawrence County)

They closd the one in Darlington, the closest one to me is in Wexford, 2 counties away, and a 45 minute drive... It's time to join the club that's only 6 miles away... lol

Chazpissedoffman321
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post

bah....it's still closed! muddy frisbees....

Darndest thing.
    I recognized what 'muddy frisbees' meant simply by the context it was used - but that one got me. I had never heard such a saying.
    And whenever I hear/read something new - I always search to find it's meaning, origin, etc....

Wow.....is THAT ever original!
    Google (and I even tried to search with other search engines) only returned TWO hits for 'Muddy Frisbees'

One was a comment in a blog and the other was from a poem.

POEM:Queen Anne's Larvae
    secretly resides in her
    crypt in Westminster
    the vicar takes his
    daily lick.
    a really big fan of fats domino he was
    his soup was dysfunctional starchunks
    and sings the glories of muddy frisbees
    bees of the mud sing fishy glories
    i said we've been down this road before.
    said the larvae in some crypt in westminster
    rhumba! teekee shooom, monte metheusala! (click)! (click)!
    sammy davis santa claus got no vinyl in dem lip trousers.

OK - the fact that I actually care this much about the spoken word??? Yeah, it may be a little odd........But I'm perfectly harmless!
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook

(Lackawanna County)

And oh......Another buddy of mine is gonna swing by that range today to get a "Hands On" confirmation.

That same guy and I will be at this range this Saturday morning.
    Gary in Pennsylvania

(Monroe County)

Question Re: SGL#127 GOULDSBORO State Run Shooting Range is OPEN!

I know this is an old post but does anyone know if this range is open? The state game lands website says it's open but I drove out there today and there are signs up that say closed and it looks like it hasn't been used in years. WTF????

(Monroe County)

A friend of mine was there just last week.

(Somerset County)

PGC press release from 6/15/09:

GAME COMMISSION PLANS IMPROVEMENTS FOR RANGE ON SGL 127

HARRISBURG – Pennsylvania Game Commission officials today announced plans to move the location of the present shooting range on State Game Land 127, in Monroe County, to improve public access, maintenance and security of the range.

The new range will be on the north side of Route 423, just behind the PennDOT equipment storage facility, about one mile west of the I-380 interchange. Also, the Game Commission maintenance building is about one-quarter mile away from the new site.

On June 3, the Game Commission opened bids for the project. N&T Transport & Excavating, of Mayfield, bid $130,565.52 and was the lowest of 14 bidders. N&T has reconstructed three other Game Commission shooting ranges in the northeast corner of the state. Funding for the project is from the Game Commission’s Growing Greener II allocation.

“This new site will provide for easier public access to the facility, and make it easier for the Game Commission to maintain and patrol the range,” said Steve Schweitzer, Game Commission Northeast Region director. “The new range will have backstops and side-berms that conform to the NRA-recommended guidelines for safety. We plan to create eight rifle shooting stations for 100-yard targets and four rifle shooting stations for 50-yard targets. One shooting station at each of these distances will be a handicapped-accessible station.

“The new range also will include a pistol range with 10-yard and 25-yard targets. Each pistol distance can accommodate up to six shooters.”

Schweitzer said that the new range will have a parking lot that can accommodate up to 44 vehicles, including four handicapped-only spaces. Stone access paths and stone faced backstops for lead retention and recovery also are part of the new range features.

“The old range will be razed as part of this project, including the removal of all old shooting tables,” Schweitzer said. “The material in the old range sideberms and backstops will be transported to the new range and incorporated into the new range’s embankments. Lead remediation of the old range was completed last summer.

Additionally, the site of the old range area will be graded and reclaimed by planting a food plot mix containing clover, alfalfa, orchard grass and rye grass. The Game Commission’s local Food and Cover Corps Crew also will plant trees and shrubs from the agency’s Howard Nursery to further enhance the habitat for wildlife.

“The new range should be completed before the end of this summer, depending on weather conditions,” Schweitzer said. “Also, depending on weather conditions, construction of the new range will begin sometime next week.”

Directions to the new range are in the second paragraph. I can't say when it might be done, but in the past, they have made a real effort to have them open by October. This summer's weather has been a real bear for outdoor work.

Dale

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast