Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Duty to Inform when stopped by police

Quote Originally Posted by cham09 View Post
    Ultimately handle the situation of whether to inform them or not how you want to. Me personally, the 3 times I*ve been stopped since carrying I*ve informed them, and all 3 were fine interactions. First 2 were local cops, both of which ended up talking guns with me afterwards. The 3rd one was a state trooper, and he just had me do something I thought was *odd* but figured hey it*s what he*s comfortable with. After approaching my vehicle and introducing himself, I informed him of my LTCF as well as being armed, to which he replied *ok here*s what I need you do. I*m going to go back to my car for about a minute, as soon as I do I want you to remove your weapon from your holster, drop the mag/clear it, and place it up on your dash with the slide locked back*. So I did and everything after that was smooth.
    Sooner or later, this imprudent strategy will bite you right in the ass.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    ..... Granted the best thing would have been for him to just accept the citizen was armed and conduct the traffic stop as normal.
    ^^^^ This. A person with an LTCF is less likely to commit a crime than an officer according to one study.

I still enjoy Viper's response to a PPD officer years ago when asked to give up his weapon. "How about we all leave our guns in their holsters where they are safe"... and that was the way it went down!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    ^^^^ This. A person with an LTCF is less likely to commit a crime than an officer according to one study.

I still enjoy Viper's response to a PPD officer years ago when asked to give up his weapon. "How about we all leave our guns in their holsters where they are safe"... and that was the way it went down!
    What happened to Viper? I know he moved out near Allentown so his PPD encounters were limited, but haven't seen a post in a long time. His thread was always a good read.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    What happened to Viper? I know he moved out near Allentown so his PPD encounters were limited, but haven't seen a post in a long time. His thread was always a good read.
    He did move north, but I*m not sure where. He would show up every six months or so, but I don*t recall any posts lately.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    He did move north, but I*m not sure where. He would show up every six months or so, but I don*t recall any posts lately.
    He is still around. I have his number if it wasn't changed.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    While I know this is a Zombie thread after being stopped for a brake light that went out I decided to try something different then what is required or wise

I think the guys are taking it easy on you because you have been around here for so long. You experimented with the life of you and your wife. Screw the gas tank and his foot. Clearly the rookie could have killed someone. His toes being the least of your worries. I agree that saying something will put a target on you. I've told my friends this before I was retired, and I'll say it here. Never offer too much information.

On a side note, when I did seize a gun in a traffic stop, it was incident to arrest. When I could and time permitted, the weapon was turned over to a family member or friend with a LTCF. People would very often say, I got my gun one me. I would say, leave your gun where it is, and I'll leave mine where it is. If I saw a LTCF ID in a wallet I would say something like, Hope you got you gun with you. But I didn't pry. Of all the stupid things that happened on traffic stops, getting in a shootout, was never one of them.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by edmundfitz1975 View Post
    I would've told the state pig to eat a D, but that's me.
    Right...

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post

I think the guys are taking it easy on you because you have been around here for so long. You experimented with the life of you and your wife. Screw the gas tank and his foot. Clearly the rookie could have killed someone. His toes being the least of your worries. I agree that saying something will put a target on you. I've told my friends this before I was retired, and I'll say it here. Never offer too much information.

On a side note, when I did seize a gun in a traffic stop, it was incident to arrest. When I could and time permitted, the weapon was turned over to a family member or friend with a LTCF. People would very often say, I got my gun one me. I would say, leave your gun where it is, and I'll leave mine where it is. If I saw a LTCF ID in a wallet I would say something like, Hope you got you gun with you. But I didn't pry. Of all the stupid things that happened on traffic stops, getting in a shootout, was never one of them.

Only had it come up twice. Once was PSP fishing for drinks when I left a d&d game late. I was, of course, not drinking or would have just spent the night there. Trooper a-hole saw my gun on my hip and starting spazing as I was talking to trooper B-female with my hands visible having already gotten my paperwork out prior to them walking up. Obviously annoyed (by him) she asks if I have my LTCF, and I said yes. I think she might have looked at it for a half second, maybe?

The other time was an MVA & I was at work. Helpful man stops and takes his shirt off to apply pressure. Two fire departments, Two
    Ambulances services are on scene. Before the troopers show up. No one gives a shit that the guy is now obviously open carrying.

Trooper A hole walks up behind helpful bystander (who, was Hispanic and the residence the crash happened in front of was Hispanic), puts makes the guy put his hands on his head, and then unlawfully seizes his firearm.
    Needless to say, I was not amused by the trooper doing illegal shit and creating a potentially deadly situation by breaking the law. Especially since the helpful man had no idea why he was being accosted and did not know PSP was there since they came up behind him.

I spoke to the volunteer EMS chief who was on scene, as he used to be a corrections officer at the county jail, is the county Republican coordinator, the EMA media guy yada yada, and so I figured when he talked to the corporal it would get meaningfully addressed. It did.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Only had it come up twice. Once was PSP fishing for drinks when I left a d&d game late. I was, of course, not drinking or would have just spent the night there. Trooper a-hole saw my gun on my hip and starting spazing as I was talking to trooper B-female with my hands visible having already gotten my paperwork out prior to them walking up. Obviously annoyed (by him) she asks if I have my LTCF, and I said yes. I think she might have looked at it for a half second, maybe?

The other time was an MVA & I was at work. Helpful man stops and takes his shirt off to apply pressure. Two fire departments, Two
    Ambulances services are on scene. Before the troopers show up. No one gives a shit that the guy is now obviously open carrying.

Trooper A hole walks up behind helpful bystander (who, was Hispanic and the residence the crash happened in front of was Hispanic), puts makes the guy put his hands on his head, and then unlawfully seizes his firearm.
    Needless to say, I was not amused by the trooper doing illegal shit and creating a potentially deadly situation by breaking the law. Especially since the helpful man had no idea why he was being accosted and did not know PSP was there since they came up behind him.

I spoke to the volunteer EMS chief who was on scene, as he used to be a corrections officer at the county jail, is the county Republican coordinator, the EMA media guy yada yada, and so I figured when he talked to the corporal it would get meaningfully addressed. It did.

Shit like this should never happen!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Monroe County)

I hear what you said, but I was under the general impression (From serving with many law enforcement folks) that the basics were taught to LEO's. From my stop I no longer believe that and will act accordingly. Back in the day I would have said thing that would have escalated the stop and not ended well for me and my wife. At this stage of life I like to keep my blood pressure at a safe level and not stroke out, I did that to much in uniform. On the scale from best to worst stop this one would be leaning towards the bad side, getting shot with your own gun is a level worse than by the officers gun

(Juniata County)

Shit like this should never happen!
    No, and I happen to know that at the time a CPL in the area was pro open carry. Based on The fact that he made a positive comment about it when I was getting gas a sheetz.

We*ve got a fairly good crop of troopers in the last 15 years in Juniata. Some of them came very young, and from more urban areas, but they have adjusted well. They are generally very polite until someone makes them not be, and although I don*t know it, I believe it was the same trooper both times. I hadn*t had much *professional* interactions with him, and I*m fairly sure he isn*t still in the area.

Policing, I believe is much like EMS & is very much about the *culture* that is allowed to exist. I don*t believe his behavior was considered positive. Some times you have to be firm. Sometimes you have to be *a dick*, but most of the time being calm, reasonable and explaining is more productive.

I subscribe to the *Sully* school of policing on third watch.

That said. In all my other interactions: I*ve never had a problem with a trooper when armed. Or been upset with their behavior on a call I was involved in. Other than that time they let the lady that slit her throat, with a steak knife, walk back into the kitchen*.well I stuttered like a boy in a Disney show who was trying to talk to a hot girl because I couldn*t believe it/get it out of my mouth to stop her. But that wasn*t really a unprofessional thing*they just didn*t equate kitchen to *all the knives*.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; January 19th, 2022 at 05:00 PM.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast