Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Re: Duty to Inform when stopped by police

Before you decide to inform a LEO that you are carrying in a state that does not require notifying the LEO, type "Canton Ohio cop threatens" in Google and watch the video of the Canton, Ohio cop who verbally abuses and threatens a citizen who is attempting to present his carry permit as required in Ohio. The citizen can't get a word in edgewise while the cop is on his tirade, and then the cop tickets the citizen for failing to inform a LEO that the citizen is carrying. With no upside and a tremendous downside to making a gratuitous disclosure, the consensus here seems to be to not make a disclosure about concealed carry to a LEO where the law does not require it and the LEO does not ask about it or ask the driver to exit the vehicle.

The best advice I have seen here when asked directly if you have a firearm on you is to say "I have a License to Carry a Firearm."

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by jxh5761 View Post
    Hey guys I'm new here.

I know people probably already asked this but I couldn't find the threads.

I checked on various websites that show PA residents are not legally required to inform the officer of their concealed carry weapon when stopped.

But can the officer see me having a license to carry firearm when he checks my plate and registration?

And I've seen videos about being courteous and inform the officer either way.

Have any of you encountered with the police when carrying? How did you handle it and how did the police officer response?

Thanks guys!!
    I've been stopped twice while carrying. Both times by PSP. Trooper didn't ask, I didn't tell. No reason to. We're not Ohio. Deifnitely not NY.

Quote Originally Posted by 74_dart_sport View Post
    Ok so may be showing my ignorance here but my carry gun was given to me by my dad before moving to PA. So how would I prove ownership if required?
    The old saying goes Possesion is 9/10th of the law. I a innocent until proven guilty, is y firearm in the Lost or Stolen Dbase? No? well I guess I am the owner of it. We had a flooded basement some years ago and most of my documentation for ownership was destroyed, the shops I bought the guns are long out of business. That being said, The LAW in Pennsylvania it is actually illegal for any government or police agency to keep a registry of firearms per 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111.4 (Registration of firearms). If you legally possess bring your firearms into the Pennsylvania or come into possession of the firearms legally, no further action is required.

wish i could just tape ID to the window and never have to roll down or speak to them at all. ever.
    they can do whatever they've predetermined they're going to and go away. no fishing expedition, nothing.
    they are capable of citing my vehicle without it even being present, through the mail, they sure as hell don't have to say a word to me.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

I WILL inform a police officer any given time of the day that I got a firearm on me, I WILL NOT inform them if I have a puppy nearby.

(Berks County)

I have never been asked. I would answer honestly. I would not bring it up. I work too hard for the money to be handing it over to lawyers and courts for butt hurtedness. No I don't like the trampling of our constitution, that's why I vote, lobby, and donate. I'm just not going to go all gandhi and let them club me into a ditch over it so I have standing for some lawsuit I'm sure to lose.

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I have never been asked. I would answer honestly. I would not bring it up. I work too hard for the money to be handing it over to lawyers and courts for butt hurtedness. No I don't like the trampling of our constitution, that's why I vote, lobby, and donate. I'm just not going to go all gandhi and let them club me into a ditch over it so I have standing for some lawsuit I'm sure to lose.
    My sentiments exactly Gnnsnwater. I was pulled over a few years ago early one morning in a small town reduced speed zone for speeding (day dreaming and listening to willies roadhouse) The trooper was polite informed me that he stopped me for speeding. He ask if I was in a hurry or something to that effect. I told him I was not and that I was just enjoying the morning and listening willies roadhouse he chuckled took my information and went back to his car when he returned to my truck he ask if there is anything he should know I answered no (if he would have ask if I had a firearm I would have answered honestly). He explained the citation and said slow down and have a nice day. I have always wondered he he knew I possessed a LTCF.

(Lancaster County)

For me it would depend on the situation

(York County)

Last time I was stopped, I was not asked and did not volunteer the information. Only if asked.
    Lower your expectations to zero and you'll never be disappointed.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by punxsutawneypete View Post
    Before you decide to inform a LEO that you are carrying in a state that does not require notifying the LEO, type "Canton Ohio cop threatens" in Google and watch the video of the Canton, Ohio cop who verbally abuses and threatens a citizen who is attempting to present his carry permit as required in Ohio. The citizen can't get a word in edgewise while the cop is on his tirade, and then the cop tickets the citizen for failing to inform a LEO that the citizen is carrying. With no upside and a tremendous downside to making a gratuitous disclosure, the consensus here seems to be to not make a disclosure about concealed carry to a LEO where the law does not require it and the LEO does not ask about it or ask the driver to exit the vehicle.

The best advice I have seen here when asked directly if you have a firearm on you is to say "I have a License to Carry a Firearm."
    Do you mean this video ?:

This is why in PA I do not inform unless there is a chance for the officer to notice weapon during the situation.
    --ET

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast