Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Duty to Inform when stopped by police

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, in PA while one has no duty to inform (or volunteer), if directly asked by the LEO if armed, you must respond.

Noah
    Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Correct.

No I don't have a cite.
    Didn't we have some posts here about dispatch automatically looking up LTCF and informing LEO

when i posted i did dig through ufa and didnt see mention either way other than its required for driving with firearm. etc.
    maybe gunlawyer can point out appropriate legalese

he is "iaal" after all
    There is no way to make it out alive...

In my opinion License registration, proof of insurance is all the LEO needs for the business at hand for vehicle related issues.
    If an LEO observes my holstered firearm and asks to see my LTCF, then he will receive that document as well, But I would already have that available as its in the wallet.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    They have also had their firearms retained by LEO due to the "lack of documentation Proving that the carried firearm belonged to the LAC" because the firearm was not in the "Database" of recent firearm sales (ROS). This "database" is illegal, and incomplete. And the LAC had to report to the police station with documentation that the firearm did indeed belong to them.
    Ok so may be showing my ignorance here but my carry gun was given to me by my dad before moving to PA. So how would I prove ownership if required?

(Warren County)

Go to a gunshop w/ dad and transfer it.

Or generate a document from Dad that states it was a gift and no documentation required in XX state.

Or Buy a carry gun. Keep that one at home.

Or carry it and deal with the fallout if a cop gets overly enthusiastic ( statistically a low chance for the law-abiding, but it does happen)

I only carry guns that are listed in the illegal PSP "sales database".
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 74_dart_sport View Post
    Ok so may be showing my ignorance here but my carry gun was given to me by my dad before moving to PA. So how would I prove ownership if required?
    Ah, there's the rub.

There's no registry, so you can't. But some popo/municipalities/courts will confiscate because it's not in the registry... that doesn't exist...

In effect it's like confiscating your briefcase because you don't have a receipt for it on your person.

It's wrong. It happens, but it's wrong.

Unfortunately, none of the above answers your question, so here are some options if you are concerned this may happen to you...
    1. If your father is still with us have him sign a piece of paper (with S/N) giving you possession. Put the original in your safe, carry a copy.
    2. Carry a different gun.
    3. If you *like* .gov knowing your business, go to an FFL and transfer the gun to yourself.
    4. Tell any popo trying to confiscate your gun to f*** themselves.

I can't speak to whether any of these are effective/legal/wise , but they *are* options...

My 2¢
    YMMV
    IANAL
    etc...

(Delaware County)

Or generate a document from Dad that states it was a gift and no documentation required in XX state.

Or carry it and deal with the fallout if a cop gets overly enthusiastic ( statistically a low chance for the law-abiding, but it does happen)

Damn, typed faster than I did...

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, in PA while one has no duty to inform (or volunteer), if directly asked by the LEO if armed, you must respond.

Noah
    The law says you must provide proof of licensure if required (say, concealing or in a car) it does not say you must say if you are armed.

I expect most cops would not be amused if you asked if you were under arrest, and if not tell them that it is none of their business. That however, is the truth.

OP: Legally no, they can not know you have a LTCF when they run your plates.

In reality we know several counties are running a LTCF check every time they run a plate, which is illegal. I Believe FOAC is looking into the issue._

Big Andy covered most of it, I can't rep him again however.

I do not, and would not tell them I am armed. If they are so unaware they can not see a 1911 on a man's up, than they don't need to know. As to my wife, well, it is rather improper for a man to talk to a woman without her husband present, and female troopers are pretty rare. The Local CPL is female, and have a positive opinion of her. When pulled over at night (two troopers) the other trooper made of big deal of "he's got a gun" well she was doing her traffic stop. She ignored him and after finishing that part of the conversation asked for my LTCF, handed it back to me and went on about their day.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Or carry it, get it stolen by a LEO, and then file thief charges. Because there is no Database, the courts have said so. Thus, it can not be used as justification for confiscation. Throw that SOB in jail, where he belongs.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Or carry it, get it stolen by a LEO, and then file thief charges. Because there is no Database, the courts have said so. Thus, it can not be used as justification for confiscation. Throw that SOB in jail, where he belongs.
    Has anyone had any success with this scenario yet ?

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast