Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Am i the only one that likes cosmoline!

am i the only person that loves cosmo. I get the little kid before christmas feeling when i see a big nasty snot blob with what looks like a rifle inside. It is almost a treasure hunt to see what is actually inside there. And it is kinda cool to actually think that i am the first one to handle this rifle in almost 60yrs. A buddy of mine just got a rc mauser that was totally covered and markings were unrecognizable. I was itching just to go over there and start cleaning. Please tell me that i am not the only one.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Am i the only one that likes cosmoline!

I think its a love/hate thing. You hate the PITA of removing it but you gotta love the fact it kept your new pride and joy from dissolving into a pile of rust years ago.

I will admit though...that fragrance could be the newest biggest women's perfume. Although just putting a glob behind each ear and on each wrist would be cheaper.

(York County)

It's not a bad thing if you're taking it off of a (1) gun but get a shipment in and have to clean 10-15 of them to put on the shelf. That's a bitch of a day. -BB

Not sure if I would like the wife smelling like that or not. Victoria Secret is just fine for my nose.
    The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
    -Ted Nugent

(Chester County)

If a gun has so much I can't see it I won't buy it (Yugo SKS at the VFGS comes to mind). But after picking up a nice Mosin-Nagant or Mauser it's relaxing to grab some tools and a bunch of shop rags, tear it down and start wiping a way while watching a good black and white war flick.

The one thing I really don't like is after getting it all cleaned, oiled and back together, it's kind of a PITA when I have a C&R at the range and I'm all ready to do some shooting, but more cosmo starts sweating out of the furniture if it's been sitting in the sun so I have to stop shooting to clean it up.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    If a gun has so much I can't see it I won't buy it (Yugo SKS at the VFGS comes to mind). But after picking up a nice Mosin-Nagant or Mauser it's relaxing to grab some tools and a bunch of shop rags, tear it down and start wiping a way while watching a good black and white war flick.

The one thing I really don't like is after getting it all cleaned, oiled and back together, it's kind of a PITA when I have a C&R at the range and I'm all ready to do some shooting, but more cosmo starts sweating out of the furniture if it's been sitting in the sun so I have to stop shooting to clean it up.

Try steaming it out of the wood before puting it all back together. You'll have that problem a lot less.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Feddog82 View Post
    Try steaming it out of the wood before puting it all back together. You'll have that problem a lot less.
    I've got one of those "As seen on TV" clothes steamer thingies around the house somewhere, will that work?
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Berks County)

I like it...it is great stuff, like was mentioned a well cosmo'd rifle is a well preserved rifle.

I also have the added advantage of access to a parts washer, so removing this stuff is easy for me.

First experience with cosmoline was in the Navy in the 1980's. Parts for equipment and machinery that broke down (my ship was built in 1942), spare parts came packed in cosmo.

Interesting to see fingerprints in cosmoline on a fuel oil pump shaft, a shaft wrapped in wax paper and had a packing label from 1944!

Good stuff.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Lackawanna County)

i don't mind it so much, except when it comes on a brand new sword. ever try wiping the edge of a razor?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    I've got one of those "As seen on TV" clothes steamer thingies around the house somewhere, will that work?
    It probably will......I just use a clothing iron with the steam on high and a cloth/rag. I just iron the wood (lightly) through the cloth. The heat and steam brings the cosmo out of the wood. So there will be less leaching when the stock gets warm later from shooting or sitting in the sun.

(Somerset County)

HAHA who sits around and thinks of putting an iron on a gun like that. Well thank you for doing it because I just tried that the other night and it worked like a charm. Now I am laughing at myself. THANKS AGAIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast