Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Coonan classic

(Cumberland County)

Default Coonan classic

Took the coonan to the range today. the more I shoot it the better I like it. I love it when others shoot it, I like to hear there thoughts and see the enjoyment they get from it. I've shot the desert eagle and LAR grizzly both in 357 magnum as well, but the coonan out shoots them and I haven't had a single problem with it and there are over 1500 reloads through it as of now.
    It goes well with my ruger 77/357, Blackhawk, and security six. Has anyone else had any experience with it? If so, what are your thoughts?

Default Re: Coonan classic

I bought the Coonan compact back in December for my birthday. My experiences are the same as yours. Love it. I have to run my reloads a little hotter because of the stiffer spring but otherwise its accurate. Recoil is very manageable and talk about flame balls. It usually gets peoples attention at the range. It throws my brass 30 feet to the right though. Def a keeper.

(Cumberland County)

Yeah, tracking down the brass is a treat for sure. I haven't had the chance to shoot the compact yet, but years ago, coonan had one called something else, and I got to shoot it. It seemed to jam a lot. Sounds like they have all that sorted out. My coonan also likes the reloads on the "stiff" side.

(Cumberland County)

Had the coonan out again. It sure is a joy to shoot. I'm going to try the 38special spring in it on the next trip out. I hear it can be a bit picky with 38's. can't wait to try out the new reloads.

(Philadelphia County)

Came close to buying one or a Wildey a few years ago but ended up not pulling the trigger on either gun.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Cumberland County)

Had the coonan out on Sunday. Flawless as usual. It is still amazing to me that even with smooth grip panels, the gun stays in the grip. No constant adjustment. It is an absolute joy to shoot.

(Allegheny County)

I really like the coonan - it looks like a very fine handgun - I wonder how is the performance versus 10mm?

(Cumberland County)

I've only ever fired 3 10mm handguns, an eaa witness, a s&w 1006(can't remember if that's the exact model), and a full sized glock( can't remember that model either). I've really wanted to compare it with a delta elite or other 1911 in 10mm. I did like the smith. As far as performance goes, I'm told the 10mm has a slight edge, but I can't say for sure. I do know that the 357 magnum is a well proven round in both hunting and personal defense. I have a rifle and a couple revolvers in 357 so that was the reason for the coonan.

(Allegheny County)

let me know if you come out to pittsburgh bring the coonan and you can shoot my delta and my springfield linkless 1911's in 10mm

(Cumberland County)

I will surely do that. I don't go out that way much, but I will be looking for a good excuse now.