Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Possible disaster at the range today...averted

This afternoon, I decided to hit the range with two rifles, a PSA AR15, and a Ruger Mini-14, just to put a few magazines down range through each. I started with the AR, putting one magazine through using the TRS-25 red dot, then another magazine with the open sights, and confirmed they both hit where intended at 50 yards. I switched to the Mini-14, and first round...BANG, second round...BANG, third round...CLICK. I gave it a 15-count and ejected the cartridge. Before picking up the dud, I had thought about chambering another round and continuing shooting, but decided to check out the dud first. I am glad I did! I picked it up to see if the primer had been struck, and there was no bullet in it! DANG, where is that bullet! It has to be in the chamber!

After clearing and disassembling the rifle, and a glance down the barrel confirmed the barrel was blocked. Well, I'm done shooting the Mini today. I am not sure what happened, but I have an idea. Upon closer inspection of the cartridge, the primer had been hit, the indent appeared normal. What was abnormal was, no powder spilled out of the case. I could see the powder right up to the neck, but I couldn't even shake it out. A few whacks on the table dislodged some, but at least half of it was caked solid, and instead of gray/black, it was a greenish yellow color. I inspected the case, and it appears there are no crimp marks around the neck, which are easily seen on other cartridges (pics for comparison).

At home, I easily tapped the bullet out of the chamber with a cleaning rod. It took very little effort. Here's what I think happened. Somehow this cartridge (IMI 223 Rem 55 gr.) missed being crimped, giving the bullet a loose fit in the case. This allowed the powder to become caked solid (does moisture do that, and turn it green??), also preventing the primer from igniting (there was no bang at all). Also, the loose neck allowed the bullet to pop out of the case upon chambering, as the MIni-14 action is rather aggressive.

All in all, kind of upsetting, but I sure am glad I didn't simply chamber another round and pull the trigger. It could have been ugly.

Dud case - no crimp marks

Very noticible crimp marks on another case

Bullet with small rub marks from chamber (shiny ring on the ogive is from the cleaning rod)

Small piece of caked, green/yellow powder. This clump is less than an 1/8" in diameter, broken off of a much large piece still in the case.

Anyone else have an ideas about what happened, or what would cause the powder to look like it does? Also, please be careful folks, and take the time to check out any misfires or stoppages before continuing (unless you're in a firefight).
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Possible disaster at the range today...averted

The exact same thing happened to me about 3 years with my Bersa UC45. Tapping the slug out wasn't too hard. I have to wonder if maybe the next round would have just made both come out more slowly and sloppily, or if it the back pressure would rupture the barrel and/or the chamber. Don't really want to find out.

I think what happened was impure powder, contaminated powder, etc....or perhaps only the primer ignited producing just enough force to lodge the slug 1.5 inches down the barrel.

(Somerset County)

I doubt the lack of crimp had anything to do with it. I rarely crimp my bottleneck rifle reloads and have never had a problem. Case neck tension holds bullets very well. Usually I just crimp ammo for tube magazine rifles and revolver rounds.

My guess is that the powder was contaminated before it went in the case or there was moisture in the case or a contaminant in the brass that affected the powder. I think I would contact the ammo manufacturer and see what they have to say. I wouldn't shoot any more of that ammo until I did contact them.

Dale

(Allegheny County)

Well played. Gotta go with your gut, if you have even an inkling that something is wrong takes but a few seconds to check it out. PITA that you couldn't fire the Mini on Sunday but your handling of the incident means all is well for the next range trip. Kudos.