Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Under the gun

(Susquehanna County)

Default Under the gun

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/po..._the_city.html

Under the gun

U.S. Rep. Patrick Murphy, whose Bucks County district includes a sliver of Northeast Philadelphia, is taking flak from gun-control groups for his support of a bill loosening gun regulations in the District of Columbia.

Murphy's staff portrays the congressman's support as a middle-of-the-road effort to balance the rights of gun owners and D.C.'s attempts to keep guns off its streets. But gun-control advocates say that the pending bill goes much further than required to comply with a U.S. Supreme Court decision in June, voiding D.C.'s 32-year-old ban on handgun possession: The bill would eliminate a local gun-registration requirement and repeal a local ban on semiautomatics.

Bryan Miller, executive director of Ceasefire NJ, expresses outrage. "As I understand it, Murphy is joined at the hip to [U.S. Rep.] John Murtha, and Murtha is a tied-at-the-hip NRA [National Rifle Association] guy," Miller said. "I don't see any other reason why a suburban Philadelphia Democrat, with Philadelphia going through the horrible throes of gun violence, would sign onto a bill making the availability of guns so much greater in D.C. I think, frankly, [Murphy] should be ashamed of himself."

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Under the gun

I'm even more shocked that someone like the Ceasefire person is allowed to drive, have a bank account, or anything else that requires mental competence.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; September 12th, 2008 at 05:22 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Under the gun

Murphy isn't all bad. I even considered voting for him until he did an about-face on immunity for the telecoms.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! " - Patrick Henry