Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Ross Rifle Assistance

So my parents are downsizing and I helped my brother clean out Dad's gun cabinet. There was always a few little gems in there. The one that I grabbed was a Ross .303 Mark II. It's my understanding that this came from a family friend. I really need to get more of the history from my father, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with the rifle. I will post some pics when I get the chance.

The stock has all sorts of marks on it and I actually have the original bayonet & sheath. Also, if any one knows the value, that would be tremendous.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ross Rifle Assistance

Can't help with the value but I think they are worth more than most milsurps due to the rarity. The bayonets are pretty sought after as well.

(Lehigh County)

If you are planning on shooting it, be aware there is some version of the Ross that can be assembled incorrectly and the bolt is not locked, thus can injure one who is shooting it. They are interesting rifles. Spend some time on researching.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    If you are planning on shooting it, be aware there is some version of the Ross that can be assembled incorrectly and the bolt is not locked, thus can injure one who is shooting it. They are interesting rifles. Spend some time on researching.
    This times 100. They can kill you as the bolt comes back into your eye. Be very careful

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    This times 100. They can kill you as the bolt comes back into your eye. Be very careful
    I had heard that, but I don't think that applies to this version. Thanks for the advice.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Berks County)

A good rundown on the Ross rifles here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uGYSQ_-FJU

(Northampton County)

Go to Milsurps.com, join and then proceed to this sub forum. Lots of info there.

https://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=134&

Stuart

(Philadelphia County)

The one that'll kill you with an incorrectly assembled bolt is the Ross Mk. III, and even then the majority of them were retrofitted with a rivet to prevent that from happening. There are very few guides out there to disassemble a Ross Mk. II bolt, and they probably require a special tool. They're nice rifles and the actions are smooth a hell. But they can get a little sticky because of the vertical locking lugs trying to push and pull cartridges in and out of the chamber.

I used to have one. Sold it. Now it's one of the few guns I want back.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by borekfk View Post
    The one that'll kill you with an incorrectly assembled bolt is the Ross Mk. III, and even then the majority of them were retrofitted with a rivet to prevent that from happening. There are very few guides out there to disassemble a Ross Mk. II bolt, and they probably require a special tool. They're nice rifles and the actions are smooth a hell. But they can get a little sticky because of the vertical locking lugs trying to push and pull cartridges in and out of the chamber.

I used to have one. Sold it. Now it's one of the few guns I want back.
    Ahhh... another member of DVHAA! Been involved from the beginning. My father is a long time board member.

(Bucks County)

Here is the rifle, for those that care.

A brief history: This belonged to my Great Uncle in WWI and since it has the import marks, was one of the 20,000 imported for training. Other than that I don't know much about it. A long time ago my father did fire it after tying it to a tree and using a string since he knew something about the previous bolt issues.

I hope the pics are satisfactory. I'm not much of a photographer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast