Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Any chance DCFS will modernize?

The money that DCFS came in to is mostly being spent on rebuilding the smallbore (now called the "rimfire" range to avoid confusion because some idiots decided to shoot .22-250 and .223/5.56 there which messed up the backstops) and pistol ranges as well as making improvements to the clubhouse. There are no plans to build an indoor range at this time.

Things have changed at DCFS in the past few years. It used to be that on the high-power range you were limited to loading one round at a time and if you showed up with an AR or AK you'd get a hairy eyeball from the guys shooting their deer rifles. Now it's five a round limit and more often than not I see EBR's and milsurps on the line. If you want to do a 30-round mag dump you can but you need to let a range officer know first (yeah, RO's aren't there 24/7 but there's usually one of us there on the weekend). Take a look at all of the bullet holes in the baffle system (I personally painted it yellow two years ago so that people could at least see that they were putting rounds into it) and you will get an understanding as to why the club doesn't want people shooting rapid-fire. Turns out that not everyone is Carlos Hathcock and some guys can't shoot for shit. It only takes one round to leave the range and and it's all-over.

No never. I'll do a trap shoot now and than but that's about it. I'll get shit for this but perfect example of a antigun gun club.

Can you provide examples? I'm seriously interested. The only thing that I can think of is that CCW is prohibited while on club grounds, a rule I disagree with but it's one that could be changed if enough people bitch about it. AFAIK it's not in the by-laws which are harder to change than most of the club's rules.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I grew up shooting there with my Dad and have many fond memories of the place. But for the kind of shooting I enjoy like pistol with a full magazines, ARs, AKs, and MP5s, it is not workable so I let my membership lapse.

I heard they came into some money recently, any chance of building on indoor modern range like the others in the area? I would join up again in a heartbeat if they built a nice indoor range that could compete with the others in the area.

They did not get that much money to spend over a half million on such a facility. The ventilation system in modern indoor ranges can be 100s of thousands of dollars. The money will cover redoing the kitchen, the outdoor pistol range and the rimfire range..

Even if they had an indoor range, the rules governing such would go well beyond the rules on the outdoor range, which people complain about.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    They did not get that much money to spend over a half million on such a facility. The ventilation system in modern indoor ranges can be 100s of thousands of dollars. The money will cover redoing the kitchen, the outdoor pistol range and the rimfire range..

Even if they had an indoor range, the rules governing such would go well beyond the rules on the outdoor range, which people complain about.
    The rules should be similar. LPR&Gs are. Except you need to learn how to turn on the ventilation system and lights.
    Muzzle discipline has to be near the same, however indoor is to protect the ceiling. Having people qualify for the range is a way to teach them WHY they need the rules, or Why they have them.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dannytheman View Post
    The rules should be similar. LPR&Gs are. Except you need to learn how to turn on the ventilation system and lights.
    Muzzle discipline has to be near the same, however indoor is to protect the ceiling. Having people qualify for the range is a way to teach them WHY they need the rules, or Why they have them.
    I can go on explaining that authorization to use any indoor facility at Delco would be much more involved than explaining muzzle control and having knowledge to turning on lights and a ventilation system. I will cut through the chase by simply stating that DELCO is not LPR&G. I am familiar with your club and it is a good one, my statement is made with all due respect to your organization.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    I can go on explaining that authorization to use any indoor facility at Delco would be much more involved than explaining muzzle control and having knowledge to turning on lights and a ventilation system. I will cut through the chase by simply stating that DELCO is not LPR&G. I am familiar with your club and it is a good one, my statement is made with all due respect to your organization.
    And please don't take mine as a shot at you or DCFS. I am thinking getting some of the right people, like some Training Counselors and Instructors on the safety committee could help.

I have been in many states and the politics at clubs is always difficult.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

When would be the best time to come up and see the range?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonBiase View Post
    When would be the best time to come up and see the range?
    I'd say between 10 and 4 on Saturday or Sunday. You need a couple of members and an officer to sign your application if you want to join and the club is busiest on the weekends.

(Delaware County)

I'm a member of DCFS. I've used the handgun, skeet, trap, black powder, air gun, and archery ranges. I like things just like they are. Being retired, I don't go on weekends. I mainly use the pistol range now. Yes, it gets cold in winter, your target gets wet in the rain, and you may have to wait a bit to change your target. I can live with that. Some bitch that DCFS goes overboard with safety. That's fine with me. What I REALLY love is that my senior (old fart) membership is only $75. per year. They are open EVERY day of the year except Good Friday. That day members give their time to repair/paint/clean-up for a free lunch in the club house, and a feeling that you are a member of the DCFS family. Finding 3 signatures to join takes less than 10 minutes.

(Delaware County)

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12