Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Info on Steyr AUG's or clones

A friend may be moving to this country soon. He is in the British Army and not fond of AR's. Despite my relentless pushes, he is too fond of the bullpups. After moving and becoming a citizen, he would like an AUG. He asks about reliability and such, but I have no info or experience with those type weapons.

Any info, and do's and don'ts, for this type rifle are appreciated. Is there any real drawback to these rifles?

Thanks,
    PA45ACP

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Info on Steyr AUG's or clones

The drawback to an actual pre ban Steyr AUG is that it can cost you $3000 to $5000.

There are a couple of companies that currently have out similar facsimilies to a Steyr AUG but are in fact a little bit different in the way it is set up. One company is MSAR with their STG 556 and even this will cost you over $1,000.

Another company, TPD also has a clone out, but I'm not sure how faithful this one is to a Steyr.

The good news is that Steyr I believe has announced they will be producing US made AUGs. I'm guessing these should be released in 2009 at the earliest. It is still not a preban but it is an actual Steyr product.

It is easy to see how your friend could be fond of the bullpup design because that is what he is used to with their service weapon.

(Dauphin County)

If you can't find a Steyr maybe check out the new FN bullpup. As seen here:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=110056588

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Garpman View Post
    The drawback to an actual pre ban Steyr AUG is that it can cost you $3000 to $5000.

There are a couple of companies that currently have out similar facsimilies to a Steyr AUG but are in fact a little bit different in the way it is set up. One company is MSAR with their STG 556 and even this will cost you over $1,000.

Another company, TPD also has a clone out, but I'm not sure how faithful this one is to a Steyr.

The good news is that Steyr I believe has announced they will be producing US made AUGs. I'm guessing these should be released in 2009 at the earliest. It is still not a preban but it is an actual Steyr product.

It is easy to see how your friend could be fond of the bullpup design because that is what he is used to with their service weapon.

The STG556 is a US made AUG but is NOT compatable with AUG parts. They run around $1600-$1700.

The TPD AXR is another US clone that IS compatible with AUG parts but they are over $2000 each.

I'll belive Steyr will put out an AUG for us when I see it. I hope I'm wrong about my doubts but they've been saying they plan to for years. He can also look into other bullpup rifles like the FN FS2000. Hope this helps.

CMS

what are the differences (besides FA) between the actual styer aug and the STG 556?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterook View Post
    If you can't find a Steyr maybe check out the new FN bullpup. As seen here:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=110056588
    Oh, he is looking at those too, LOL. The MSAR is what he was looking at while he was visiting. Sorry for the mix up. Gun shop guy said something about actual Steyrs being available sometime in the future, maybe. Like one has said already.....MAYBE.

Garp's comment about growing fondness for something you use and train with is absolutely correct. And he is quite fond of the SA80.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by em2b96p View Post
    what are the differences (besides FA) between the actual styer aug and the STG 556?
    If anyone knows offhand, I would like to know too!

Thanks,

PA45ACP

(Philadelphia County)

cms81586 already stated the differences. The STG 556 does not have interchangeable parts (or I don't think mags) with the Steyr AUG and it has some new features that are not present on an original AUG.

My personal suggestion would be to wait for the Steyr release.

I would like to save up and get an original pre ban myself.

Bullpup's have never had much popularity in the USA. The STG 556, FS2000 and FS90 are the most common on the market. Their major drawbacks are cost and poor triggers. The latter is due to the required length of the trigger bar. It is a common complaints of all bullpup designs, including my own Mossberg.

I do not know of any copy of an SA80 available to the general public.

TPD's AUG (AXR) uses AR mags instead of a proprietary magazine like Steyr and Microtech. Magpul makes a translucent version of their Pmag especially for the AXR. I contacted Kent at TPD earlier this week. It seems that demand is high and they are having some trouble with production. He was reluctant to even take a deposit from me! The current run of 500 rifles is being held up because their Wilson-made barrels haven't yet been delivered and there is some uncertainty of when they will be. I am expecting an email from Kent regarding availability and deposit. When I get word from him I'll post the info here. Price runs right at 2200$

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast