Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Unsure but curious enough to ask

Hello everyone of PAFOA,

I had created an account to see if I could get some answers and opinions on how this all would work, since I hear some of you are seasoned firearm vets.
    I'm 20 years old and I turn 21 in 6 days, I'm rather excited. I'm 100% set on purchasing a Glock 26 Gen 4.
    However, I feel there MAY be some implications unless I find myself wrong here.

September 2016 I was 302'd by my dad because I was on a Xanax binge, because he thought I was acting like a zombie. Also, was irrationally angry whilst on it.
    (I truly did not know what happened for a whole month, that was some powerful stuff.)
    I ended up going to the nearest psychiatric hospital. However.. 2-3 days in my shrink told me I had 2 choices: Face the judge and risk being committed for up to 20(30) days, or sign this paper.
    Now, if I remember correctly the paper was a 201 but I'm not exactly sure. I signed it of course because 20+ days there would have made me really go insane.
    I spent roughly 5-6 days there recovering from whatever was going on and my shrink told me he never thought I was a danger to anyone in the first place, he just wanted to make sure the drugs were out of my system.

Does anyone know if this disqualifies me for purchasing the gun the day of my 21st birthday if I signed a 201?
    (I'm pretty sure I did, I'm definitely 90% positive.)

Thank you!

Default Re: Unsure but curious enough to ask

CONTACT GUNLAWYER- AT THIS SITE HE IS AN ESTEEMED MEMBER OF PAFOA AN WILL HAVE THE INFO YOU NEED BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO BUY A FIREARM AND POSSIBLY GETTING DENIAL ! I did this post in bold letters so you get the correct info and not screw your chances up down the line for firearm ownership ! MDT

(Jefferson County)

Get a lawyer to investigate what was actually filed. If a 302 was filed - you're prohibited for life.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Those first two answers are the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Anything else would be noise. Listen to them.

(Delaware County)

Yes, though in fairness, gunlawyer isn't the only firearms attorney option in PA, but he is well-known and respected on this board and his office is in your backyard, so definitely a leading choice.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Allegheny County)

Do NOT attempt to purchase until you are sure. You could be charged with a crime if you don't have your shit together and say one thing and learn that it was another.

GET THE HOSPITAL RECORDS. Request them and pay for copies. Go over them - it's the only way to know if it was filed as a 201 or 302.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Warren County)

All the above. Sorry You made bad choices earlier and sorry PA has Effed up laws.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Glad you asked and did not assume. Actions have consequences and trying to buy a gun with your background could have negative consequences for you.

Others have given you the best advice. See a lawyer with a background in cases like yours. Don't play games or just hope things will work out. Some people figure "I don't know if I am eligible, I will try to buy a gun and if I get turned down then I will know something is wrong and deal with it". As Gunlawyer brings up in this thread, that is a bad idea and can lead to more trouble. http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=263156

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    All the above. Sorry You made bad choices earlier and sorry PA has Effed up laws.
    I'm kinda thinking a guy who seems cavalier about being on a month long bender and not remembering it is exactly why that effed up law was written.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    CONTACT GUNLAWYER- AT THIS SITE HE IS AN ESTEEMED MEMBER OF PAFOA AN WILL HAVE THE INFO YOU NEED BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO BUY A FIREARM AND POSSIBLY GETTING DENIAL ! I did this post in bold letters so you get the correct info and not screw your chances up down the line for firearm ownership ! MDT
    ^^. Yes, do this. ^^. With a 302 you can be up against a wall. You need a bulldozer on your side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast