Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Flying Frontier Philadelphia to Denver---okay to check firearms?

Has anyone flown Frontier and checked/declared a firearm? Visiting some friends out there and was wondering as I want to carry while out in the wilderness. However, if Frontier is not "firearms friendly" what kind of pepper spray does one recommend for the unlikely bear/cougar encounter?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Flying Frontier Philadelphia to Denver---okay to check firearms?

I haven't checked a firearm with Frontier, but did fly them to the Dominican Republic. If I recall when on their website looking at bag check info/costs, I stumbled upon the firearms page and it was similar to every other major airline. Not sure if this has changed recently.

Check out their website or give them a call. I'd suspect you'd have no problems and would encourage you to check your firearm and fly with it after some research.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    However, if Frontier is not "firearms friendly" what kind of pepper spray does one recommend for the unlikely bear/cougar encounter?
    Ironically, you can check a gun and ammunition, but not animal-grade pepper spray/mace. They're prohibited from all baggage per the TSA;

In your checked bags, you are allowed to have one 118 milliliter or 4 fluid ounce container of mace or pepper spray with a maximum concentration of 2% active ingredient provided that the container is equipped with a safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge. Note: Most animal repellants exceed these volume and concentration limitations.
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...ems/bear-spray

(Delaware County)

I flew Frontier from Philly to Ft. Myers. No problems checking in my weapons.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigred00 View Post
    Ironically, you can check a gun and ammunition, but not animal-grade pepper spray/mace. They're prohibited from all baggage per the TSA;

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...ems/bear-spray
    Pepper spray is because it can blow up in a pressurized environment. You also can't take any camping propane tanks even if they are empty and cleaned to the point consuming water out of them would be fine. Same with light anywhere matches and most anything else that could explode or cause a fire in a pressurized environment. Some people might say it is overkill, but I want to see what the same person would say in the 1 out of 100,000 chance they are on a plane that has a can of OC that blows and causes a fire in the baggage compartment...

(Delaware County)

I do a lot of tracking in black and brown bear country. A few years back I researched bear spray tests and a product called Counter Assault was rated #1. I had to use it in VA in the Shenandoah Mts when an aggressive male black bear charged me. The screaming and yelling did not stop him. He went from a walk to a run. I had already had the bear spray in hand and ready to fire whe he began to run. Man are they fast. I hit him with the spray when he was about 15 feet away. He stopped dead and ran away, but he came back and tried again. I hit him again and he never came back.

There is a lot of data that shows bear spray is a better defense against bears than any handgun. I was carrying a 9mm at the time but chose the bear spray based upon my research. The pray works on any mammal: ougars, wolves, coyotes, etc.

If you buy it get the large size. It has more shots in it and that could be important in bear territory. You will have to buy it at your destination because as was points out above you cannot take it aboard Ann aircraft even in baggage.

Make sure it is packed unloaded. In a hard sided case with lock. You will be ok. I would not try to bring pepper spray

As for the gun. They made me show it was unloaded and sign a card. They then had me take it direct to TSA and that was it.
    Arrived at Denver no issue
    Right of citizens to bear arms ...shall not be questioned.

(Chester County)

I flew to Alaska two years ago from Philly and had no problems checking the firearms in. I was not thrilled that the TSA people took my guns behind the plastic curtains and opened the case where I could not see them. Upon arrival in Alaska I asked if I could open the case in their presence to verify there were no issues to which they obliged.

Upon returning to Philly however, we were waiting a long time for our luggage so I went to the TSA desk to see if my guns had come through which they had not. When I went back to the luggage carousel my son informs me that the guns came through with our luggage. I'm glad he was there to get them as anyone could have picked them up and walked away.

My takeaway from this would be, next time I'll wait for the luggage to come through no matter how long it takes then get the guns at the TSA desk.

Bill