Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: French Creek Park outdoor range

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    You're lucky, I try to go at 10am on a tuesday and there's a half dozen people there.
    Half a dozen's not so bad. I think there are 12 lanes.

(Chester County)

Went there a couple of times during the holidays. December 28th wasn't too bad. There were people but there were a few unoccupied lanes at any given time. All target frames were in intact. The target backings were pretty shredded but in place. The park ranger came and checked on range permits and called out someone firing more than 6 rounds.

Fast forward to January 2nd and the place was a mess. All lanes continuously occupied by multiple people and families. The target backings were all gone and people started using cardboard sheets in their place. The 25 yard horizontal wooden target frames were shot out and knocked down, just uprights remained. I don't even know what the people there were shooting at, maybe just the berm. The 50 yard frames were down. The 100 yard frames had sections of the frames down. Many started hanging targets directly on the wood and eventually hit and knock them down. People were rapid firing more than 6 rounds, or shooting shotguns. I had to tell a couple of 12 year old looking kids to stop fiddling with their 10/22's while their dads were downrange.

Don't know when they'll repair the damages.

Quote Originally Posted by VeeVee View Post
    Went there a couple of times during the holidays. December 28th wasn't too bad. There were people but there were a few unoccupied lanes at any given time. All target frames were in intact. The target backings were pretty shredded but in place. The park ranger came and checked on range permits and called out someone firing more than 6 rounds.

Fast forward to January 2nd and the place was a mess. All lanes continuously occupied by multiple people and families. The target backings were all gone and people started using cardboard sheets in their place. The 25 yard horizontal wooden target frames were shot out and knocked down, just uprights remained. I don't even know what the people there were shooting at, maybe just the berm. The 50 yard frames were down. The 100 yard frames had sections of the frames down. Many started hanging targets directly on the wood and eventually hit and knock them down. People were rapid firing more than 6 rounds, or shooting shotguns. I had to tell a couple of 12 year old looking kids to stop fiddling with their 10/22's while their dads were downrange.

Don't know when they'll repair the damages.

Why not join a private range? The most dangerous ranges I have ever been to are, state ranges.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Why not join a private range? The most dangerous ranges I have ever been to are, state ranges.
    I'm working on it... I'm hoping to make the Kimberton waiting list cut-off this year. Also, I had very little time for the range in the past, so I didn't think a membership would be worth it if I only shot once or twice a year. But now... I'm finding more time to shoot, so I'm hoping to be able to join a club.

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Private ranges are expensive, have limited membership, and require periodic meetings on schedules that don't always work for you. Where as state ranges, while incredibly dangerous, are $36 a year and you can come and go as many or few times as you want.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    Private ranges are expensive, have limited membership, and require periodic meetings on schedules that don't always work for you. Where as state ranges, while incredibly dangerous, are $36 a year and you can come and go as many or few times as you want.
    I belong to two ranges and neither have meetings requirements. Work days are not mandatory but they do result in reduced dues.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

I pay $25 a year for access to a private range at a gun club. Doesnt seem very expensive to not have to deal with idiots. Most I've ever seen on the range was 3 others besides me. Nothing fancy, just a place to go shoot.

(Chester County)

I wish I knew where these cheap, easy to join private ranges were. I tried when I picked up a firearm here in PA to find one, and found nothing but waiting lists and needs to attend meetings to try to find some random stranger to sponsor me. Only places I have found I can just get in are the regular shooting ranges that charge like $20+ per visit. I know people will say 'just show up, talk to people you will get a sponsor and get it.' Aside from the fact that I really really hate that and find that tremendously hard to do, I did actually try that a couple of times a local ranges. I never could work up the nerve to just beg for someone to be my new bestest friend and sponsor me, but I also never got even the slightest hint from anyone that they would be willing or interested in doing that.

These ranges are more $100-$200 a year plus as well, so the $25 sounds wild to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Micon View Post
    I never could work up the nerve to just beg for someone to be my new bestest friend and sponsor me, but I also never got even the slightest hint from anyone that they would be willing or interested in doing that.
    Same here. I never felt like schmoozing someone to sponsor me, and I doubt that would work anyway because apparently I rub people the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I belong to two ranges and neither have meetings requirements. Work days are not mandatory but they do result in reduced dues.
    I understand the need to maintain land, pay taxes, clean up, etc. If i had a chance to go more often than I do, I'd be all over it. Unfortunately at this point in my life with all that's going on, now is not that time.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast