Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default buying a firearm in PA

Hi all,

I am an NYC resident and about to buy a vacation home in the Poconos. What do I need to purchase a firearm in PA to go shooting at local ranges? Is it just a matter of changing my NY driver license to a PA one? Or is there anything else I'd have to do?

Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: buying a firearm in PA

Welcome to the forum. As a fellow new member, a bit of advice - search the forum before posting. I believe this question has been asked before by other members so you will likely find answers by searching. Some of the responses are helpful, some entertaining - depending on which side of the state line you are on.

Also take a look around and familiarize yourself with PA's laws, there are a lot of stickies with FAQs answered.

Quote Originally Posted by bklnjets View Post
    Hi all,

I am an NYC resident and about to buy a vacation home in the Poconos. What do I need to purchase a firearm in PA to go shooting at local ranges? Is it just a matter of changing my NY driver license to a PA one? Or is there anything else I'd have to do?

Thanks
    there are some FFL's that will sell you handguns with a deed that shows you own property with a home. No DL required. Others will only sell long guns and shotguns. Of course the firearm has to stay in PA, unless you are exempt. You will use your PA address on the 4473 when purchasing. The instruction page has the details. Consult your local FFL dealer. Hope this helped.

(Montgomery County)

Make PA your permanent residence, buy guns, get your license to carry, and don't vote for the kinds of people that made NY the wasteland that it is (no liberals, ever).

Then you'll be much better off.

Become a resident.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Operator View Post
    there are some FFL's that will sell you handguns with a deed that shows you own property with a home. No DL required. Others will only sell long guns and shotguns. Of course the firearm has to stay in PA, unless you are exempt. You will use your PA address on the 4473 when purchasing. The instruction page has the details. Consult your local FFL dealer. Hope this helped.
    I did read that it's legal but most FFLs won't go that route. I guess I'll go talk to some dealers once I get the house. Thank you.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    Make PA your permanent residence, buy guns, get your license to carry, and don't vote for the kinds of people that made NY the wasteland that it is (no liberals, ever).

Then you'll be much better off.

Unfortunately, I have too much invested in NYC. As bad as this city has become, real estate prices here keep going through the roof. Can I get a license to carry in PA with just a DL?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Petewac View Post
    Welcome to the forum. As a fellow new member, a bit of advice - search the forum before posting. I believe this question has been asked before by other members so you will likely find answers by searching. Some of the responses are helpful, some entertaining - depending on which side of the state line you are on.

Also take a look around and familiarize yourself with PA's laws, there are a lot of stickies with FAQs answered.

Thank you.I did find a very long thread, after I started this one, where the OP pretty much asked the same question.

Quote Originally Posted by bklnjets View Post
    I did read that it's legal but most FFLs won't go that route. I guess I'll go talk to some dealers once I get the house. Thank you.
    It's totally legal, but the decision Rests with the dealer. Some want to get to know you, maybe a neighbor introduces you. Others will sell a walkin and most won't. Keep looking, make yourself a regular at a few places and casually broach the subject. Don't want to waste the time? Ask and move on...Good Luck

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Operator View Post
    Any FFL not requiring a DL or ID better have their lawyer on speed dial.
    Or are you saying something else and I am not reading your post correctly?

From the current 4473 instructions:
    Question 18.a. Identification:
    Before a licensee may sell or deliver a firearm to a nonlicensee, the licensee must establish the identity, place of residence, and age
    of the transferee/buyer. The transferee/buyer must provide a valid government-issued photo identification document to the transferor/seller that contains the
    transferee's/buyer's name, residence address, and date of birth. A driver's license or an identification card issued by a State in place of a license is acceptable.
    Social Security cards are not acceptable because no address, date of birth, or photograph is shown on the cards. A combination of government-issued documents may be
    provided.
    See instructions for question 18.b. Supplemental Documentation.

If the transferee/buyer is a member of the Armed Forces on active duty acquiring a
    firearm in the State where his/her permanent duty station is located, but he/she has
    a driver's license from another State, the transferor/seller should list the
    transferee's/buyer's military identification card and official orders showing where
    his/her permanent duty station is located in response to question 18.a. Licensees
    may accept electronic PCS orders to establish residency.

Question 18.b. Supplemental Documentation:
    Licensees may accept a
    combination of valid government-issued documents to satisfy the identification
    document requirements of the law. The required valid government-issued photo
    identification document bearing the name, photograph, and date of birth of
    transferee/buyer may be supplemented by another valid, government-issued
    document showing the transferee's/buyer's residence address. This supplemental
    documentation should be recorded in question 18.b., with the issuing authority and
    type of identification presented.
    For example, if the transferee/buyer has two
    States of residence and is trying to buy a handgun in State X, he may provide a
    driver's license (showing his name, date of birth, and photograph) issued by State
    Y and another government-issued document (such as a tax document) from State X
    showing his residence address. A valid electronic document from a government
    website may be used as supplemental documentation provided it contains the
    transferee's/buyer's name and current residence address.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast