Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Used my firearm in an emergency scenario today

This morning, the family and I were out on errands in the Emmaus area. We pulled into the parking lot of the establishment we were about to patronize, and were making small talk along the way.

Then, we heard the unmistakable sound of an impending car crash - the loud, screaming tires that only happen when a driver applies their full weight to the brake pedal.

Before the sound of the screeching tires was even finished, I was in flight. I shouted over my shoulder to my fiance as I streaked across the parking lot in the direction of the intersection, "Call 911!" As I cleared the property and got eyes on the intersection, I heard the sudden, dull crunch of four vehicles mid-collision, and saw glass, plastic, and one of the cars careening away from the impact. Smoke started to stream from under the hood of the large minivan closest to the intersection, and two sedans littered the road in it's wake, smashed bits of glass and twisted metal everywhere. A third sedan was immobilized against the passenger side of the minivan, pinning both doors closed.

After taking a quick size-up, I noted that none of the three sedans appeared to have anyone who was critically injured or entrapped, which allowed me to turn my attention to the young woman and her son still inside the minivan - the one with the smoke coming out the front. They were unable to open the doors on the driver's side due to the damage to the front end, and as previously mentioned, the passenger doors were pinned shut. The doors were all locked, and the battery dangled from one of it's cables, unable to power any of the automatic locks or windows with the entire ECU portion of the van decimated.

I drew my 1911. I dropped the mag in the street, and it's impact cause a round to pop out of the top. I clicked off the thumb safety and racked the chambered round into my hand, then replaced the safety and rolled it over, mag ramp facing the minivan's window. I motioned for the occupants to keep back, then smashed in the window - which was tinted, making it extremely easy to tug out of the frame. Another motorist had come over to help, and he pulled the mother from the van through the window frame. I helped her son follow her out.

Ultimately, everyone was fine - the driver of the minivan was very shaken up, and one of the other vehicle's occupants was experiencing some chest pain from the accident. All told, our errands were delayed about half an hour, and no one seemed to be injured beyond a few scrapes and bruises. The smoke coming from the front of the minivan thinned out a few moments after the driver and her son were out.

Needless to say, my 1911 will be getting a thorough disassembly, cleaning, lubing, rebuilding and range run in the very, very near future.

accident.jpg
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; May 20th, 2017 at 09:26 PM.
    Junior

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Used my firearm in an emergency scenario today

Too bad you didn't have your Glock with the glass breaker magazine.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Pike County)

Good job, junior!

But why didn't you have/use the knife with glass breaker?
    Je suis déplorable

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    This morning, the family and I were out on errands in the Emmaus area. We pulled into the parking lot of the establishment we were about to patronize, and were making small talk along the way.

Then, we heard the unmistakable sound of an impending car crash - the loud, screaming tires that only happen when a driver applies their full weight to the brake pedal.

Before the sound of the screeching tires was even finished, I was in flight. I shouted over my shoulder to my fiance as I streaked across the parking lot in the direction of the intersection, "Call 911!" As I cleared the property and got eyes on the intersection, I heard the sudden, dull crunch of four vehicles mid-collision, and saw glass, plastic, and one of the cars careening away from the impact. Smoke started to stream from under the hood of the large minivan closest to the intersection, and two sedans littered the road in it's wake, smashed bits of glass and twisted metal everywhere. A third sedan was immobilized against the passenger side of the minivan, pinning both doors closed.

After taking a quick size-up, I noted that none of the three sedans appeared to have anyone who was critically injured or entrapped, which allowed me to turn my attention to the young woman and her son still inside the minivan - the one with the smoke coming out the front. They were unable to open the doors on the driver's side due to the damage to the front end, and as previously mentioned, the passenger doors were pinned shut. The doors were all locked, and the battery dangled from one of it's cables, unable to power any of the automatic locks or windows with the entire ECU portion of the van decimated.

I drew my 1911. I dropped the mag in the street, and it's impact cause a round to pop out of the top. I clicked off the thumb safety and racked the chambered round into my hand, then replaced the safety and rolled it over, mag ramp facing the minivan's window. I motioned for the occupants to keep back, then smashed in the window - which was tinted, making it extremely easy to tug out of the frame.

Ultimately, everyone was fine - the driver of the minivan was very shaken up, and one of the other vehicle's occupants was experiencing some chest pain from the accident. All told, our errands were delayed about half an hour, and no one seemed to be injured beyond a few scrapes and bruises. The smoke coming from the front of the minivan thinned out a few moments after the driver and her son were out.

Needless to say, my 1911 will be getting a thorough disassembly, cleaning, lubing, rebuilding and range run in the very, very near future.

accident.jpg
    What exactly did smashing the window accomplish? Did you pull them out the window?
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Too bad you didn't have your Glock with the glass breaker magazine.
    My fiance said to me after the fact, "Shame you don't usually carry your Glock anymore, with the glassbreaker floorplate."

I wonder if they make one for 1911s. Hm. *scrurries off to Google*

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    What exactly did smashing the window accomplish? Did you pull them out the window?
    Another motorist had come over to help, and he pulled the mother from the van through the window frame. I helped her son follow her out. I neglected to add that in the OP, thanks for the catch.
    Junior

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    If Penthouse had a Wacker/EMT Forum section, this story would rate a 5 Star Hard On.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    My fiance said to me after the fact, "Shame you don't usually carry your Glock anymore, with the glassbreaker floorplate."

I wonder if they make one for 1911s. Hm. *scrurries off to Google*

Another motorist had come over to help, and he pulled the mother from the van through the window frame. I helped her son follow her out. I neglected to add that in the OP, thanks for the catch.
    Now it makes a lot more sense. Good job. For a moment I thought you transformed into Captain Asshole
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Philadelphia County)

That almost read like a Mack Bolan novel....glad you were able to help those people and that you wasn't hurt in the process.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Butler County)

Wonder if anyone thought they were going to get shot before they realized they were being rescued.

(Washington County)

Good job helping out!

Any police interaction?
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast