Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Sleeper?

(Cambria County)

Default Sleeper?

I am not able to clearly articulate my reasons for thinking this, however I have a 'gut impression' that John McCain could have the potential to act as a Sleeper Cell.

I've followed the politics for quite some time. I have paid attention to McCain and have seen him to be a person that acts based on quality principals. Recently, many of the negative things about McCain that I have seen come to surface seem to be things that McCain may or may have not been doing for the purpose of having a viable chance of becoming president.

Based on my gut instinct, I feel that McCain has sacrificed a significant amount of his integrity due to the fact that he knows that if he were to do otherwise, he would have no possible chance of winning the presidency.

Now, if there were any possible way that I could make Ron Paul president during this run, I would do that. Ron Paul is CLEARLY the BEST choice. However, I wonder if McCain is sacrificing many of the things that have made him appealing to me through the years because he knows that is what he MUST do in order to win the election.

Is is possible that he is a 'sleeper'? Is is possible that he is doing what he must in order to 'look good' so that he can actually have a chance to win? Perhaps so that if (and when) he wins he can then go with his 'core values' and lead this Nation in the right direction?

Default Re: Sleeper?

I have the same concerns.
    However Ron Paul, has issues ,also.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    I am not able to clearly articulate my reasons for thinking this, however I have a 'gut impression' that John McCain could have the potential to act as a Sleeper Cell.
    And here I though you'd make a reference to the Manchurian Candidate...
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Jefferson County)

If you are voting with pro-firearms as the prime issue, you have two choices:

1. vote for Ron Paul who has absolutely no chance at winning and take needed votes from McCain, risking even more a Obama win.

2. vote for McCain and have a better chance at pro-gun rights and bills.

We all know what what Obama's views are - anti-gun despite his "supporting hunters and sportsman" opinion that he stated after the Heller decision.

Sometimes you have to vote strategically even if you don't like the better of the two prime candidates. ....picking the lessor of two evils.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

McCain has been punished by the mainstream media.

1. vote for Ron Paul who has absolutely no chance at winning and take needed votes from McCain, risking even more a Obama win.

We all know what what Obama's views are - anti-gun despite his "supporting hunters and sportsman" opinion that he stated after the Heller decision.

Sometimes you have to vote strategically even if you don't like the better of the two prime candidates. ....picking the lessor of two evils.

The thing is that I feel that McCain's interests are far more in line with what we think they should be because McCain has historically been nearly libertarian, but only recently he has changed.

I feel this change may be a result of McCain making his effort to do what is necessary to do what is necessary to win the election.

I believe that McCain genuinely has his principals in the right place. I believe that McCain is a regular person trying to play the role of a politician. I believe that it is very easy for the media to turn against a person of character.

While I ADAMANTLY feel that doing "what it takes" to win an election is fundamentally wrong... If McCain is making his best effort to have a chance at 'office' is that necessarily wrong?

I feel that the best candidate is/was Ron Paul! I feel that the 'two-party system' is fundamentally flawed. The 'two-party system' needs to be throughly trashed. Nevertheless, McCain is a person I have come to feel a reason to trust. Ron Paul, sadly, has no chance.

I have yet to determine who earns my vote.
    [PDP]
    Last edited by Carnes; September 11th, 2008 at 02:15 AM.

(Montgomery County)

They all do and say what is needed to get elected. Other wise the lib's would tell us what they plan to do once they get all the arms away from us.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

Not so fast. Read Below.

We only THINK we know John McCain's record.

Amendment, John McCain is a disaster! For example, the highly respected Gun Owners of America (GOA) rates McCain with a grade of F-. McCain's failing grade is well deserved. John McCain sponsored an amendment to S. 1805 on March 2, 2004 that would outlaw the private sale of firearms at gun shows. According to GOA, the provision would effectively eliminate gun shows, because every member of an organization sponsoring a gun show could be imprisoned if the organization fails to notify each and every "person who attends the special firearms event of the requirements [under the Brady Law]."
    John McCain also sponsored an Incumbent Protection provision to the so-called "Campaign Finance Reform" bill, which severely curtails the ability of outside groups (such as GOA) to communicate the actions of incumbent politicians to members and supporters prior to an election.
    The GOA report of the 106th Congress reveals that out of 15 votes relating to the right to keep and bear arms, Senator John McCain voted favorably only 4 times. Put that into a percentage and McCain's pro-Second Amendment voting record is a pathetic 27%.
    In addition, GOA warns that John McCain supported legislation that would force federal agents to increase efforts in arresting and convicting honest gun owners who may inadvertently violate one of the many federal anti-gun laws, which punish mere technicalities, such as gun possession.
    For example, if John McCain's proposed legislation were to become law, a gun owner who travels with a gun through a school zone or who uses one of the family handguns to go target shooting with a 15-year old could be sent to prison. And a person who uses a gun for self-defense could be sent to prison for a mandatory minimum of five years.

Read More: Click Here

P.S. I can read the derision now from some on how the Gun Owner's of America are some sort of zealot Nazi's and that their opinion articles are not to be trusted. If that is the benchmark, I would suggest that anyone posting anything, first cite their sources and the credentials of the source. We would all need to turn in "papers" written to MLA or APA standards and format.

That would eliminate NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, New York Times, AP, Matt Drudge, NRA, Daily Kos, etc. Only your Momma (and Superman) may be remaining as a reliable source for truth justice and the American way.

Bottom Line: Yes, McCain is the lesser of two evils, but I refuse to vote for evil, no matter what degree. I have more than one issue I am concerned about with electing ANY candidate and have finally decided that I have "wasted" my last vote on a candidate simply because he/she has an (R) behind their name. (Would you vote for ME, since I am pro 2A but we may not agree on much else?)

A "third party" candidate (even that title is likely meant to be deliberately demeaning) may have a chance if liberty-minded folks, like those here, vote courageously rather than out of fear of Obama.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

I think the GOA's rating of him is ill-deserved. He has one thing against him which is the gun show crap.

This has actually been keeping me from joining the GOA.

Sticking with the NRA for now.