Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Indiana County)

Default Browning 1911 .380 Magazine Disconnect Removal

I bought my wife a Browning 1911 .380 Black Label to use as a CCW. She is proficient with full size 1911s and other single action autos, so I figured the 7/8ths scale lightweight Browning would be perfect. She likes the Browning, but refused, with good reason, to carry it due to the stupid inclusion of a magazine disconnect. Same thing she hated about her Ruger Mark III. On a self defense pistol, the ability to fire the round in the chamber regardless of Magazine presence could be the difference between life and death. Also, needing to insert a magazine to lower the hammer isn't great either.

Browning's design team added the magazine safety in an ingenious way, without additional parts to muck up the classic 1911 action. They use a cast nub protruding from the rear of the trigger. This nub hits the magazine release button when there is no magazine in the pistol, thereby blocking rearward trigger movement. When a magazine is inserted, the magazine release button is moved slightly to the left revealing a groove for the trigger nub to ride through allowing the gun to fire. Simple. To get ride of the magazine safety, get rid of the nub. No other modifications needed.

Now, being a true 1911 pistol design, the only way to remove the trigger is to strip down the entire lower. A word of caution: NO replacement parts are available for these Browning pistols. Lose or ruin a part and you will be out of luck.
    I won't describe a full 1911 tear down, the procedure is easily found elsewhere online. The hard parts with the Browning are removing the minescule roll pin holding the right side safety lever onto the cross shaft (reinstaling it was worse!) Also, getting the sear, diconnector and sear pin back into the frame is really fiddly. Due to the tiny size of the parts and the narrow frame, you must use long, skinny needle nosed pliers and tweezers to finesse the parts back into place. Have patients, use good lighting and you can do it. Oh, make sure the slide lock/safety detent plungers and their minuscule spring don't go flying!!

The actual removal of the magazine disconnect nub on the rear of the trigger is as simple as filing or using a cut off wheel to remove it. Took me less than a minute very carefully cutting with my Dremel tool. Cut it off and reassemble the pistol. No parts removed, no new parts needed.

And here is the pistol
    Last edited by 300plus; May 16th, 2017 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added illustration
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER, GOA, SAF, PAFOA

Default Re: Browning 1911 .380 Magazine Disconnect Removal

Thank you! Good input.
    I also have a Browning HP that had the shoe which need depressed as you inserted the magazine or no shoot!

SgtSteve