Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default When transferring a handgun does the FFL give the seller any papers to show transfer?

I have only traded and sold handguns to an FFL, never transferred to another owner. Each time I have done so, I have always received papers from the FFL showing the sale/trade with the serial numbers listed. I like the fact that I can show I no longer own the gun if there is ever an issue with it in the future.

I am wondering how private transfers normally work. A few years ago my wife bought a friends pistol. The FFL gave my wife a copy of the form she filled out, but the seller did not get anything. Is this how it normally works? I would think the seller should always get paperwork showing that they no longer own the gun.

(Washington County)

Default Re: When transferring a handgun does the FFL give the seller any papers to show trans

Quote Originally Posted by rustypigeon View Post
    I have only traded and sold handguns to an FFL, never transferred to another owner. Each time I have done so, I have always received papers from the FFL showing the sale/trade with the serial numbers listed. I like the fact that I can show I no longer own the gun if there is ever an issue with it in the future.

I am wondering how private transfers normally work. A few years ago my wife bought a friends pistol. The FFL gave my wife a copy of the form she filled out, but the seller did not get anything. Is this how it normally works? I would think the seller should always get paperwork showing that they no longer own the gun.
    Because the ATF 4473 and PICS PA Pistol registration contain personal information of the buyer, we would never provide these to the seller. If the seller wants a record of sale, they should get a receipt from the buyer showing make/model/serial number.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Default Re: When transferring a handgun does the FFL give the seller any papers to show trans

Most FFL's that I have dealt with give the seller some sort of paper, but I suppose they don't have to legally. Even for long guns I just usually type out a short letter indicating the make/model/SN, etc... the date of sale and both parties written name & signature.

Mt LGS gives the seller a transfer receipt showing that they transferred the gun from the seller to the FFL, but there is no info on the buyer. This is because even though you are selling it to someone else, the gun is actually transferred in and out of the FFLs bound book first. So,to recap, you get a paper saying the gun was transferred from your possession to the FFL, but it says nothing about the buyer. I imagine some might do it a little differently, but I would take exception to someone giving out my personal information when they don't have to.

(Indiana County)

I've never had any FFL give me a receipt as the seller.

I do however keep records of my own so I don't need to concern myself over such matters.

Every gun I buy goes into a notebook along with the purchase price and who I bought it from.
    If it gets sold, the selling price and the buyers name and place of transfer goes in the book with the date.

It's not the FFL's job to do the sellers job IMO.

(Jefferson County)

There is no need for the seller to get a copy of the state police form, nor really a receipt from the dealer. The gun is no longer theirs, no need to keep track of such by the seller on an official form.

That is one benefit of the "database" and dealer records.

If for some reason 5-0 shows up at your door asking about the gun - just refer them to the dealer that the handgun was transferred through. ...that official transfer washes your hands of anything thereafter.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There is no need for the seller to get a copy of the state police form, nor really a receipt from the dealer. The gun is no longer theirs, no need to keep track of such by the seller on an official form.

That is one benefit of the "database" and dealer records.

If for some reason 5-0 shows up at your door asking about the gun - just refer them to the dealer that the handgun was transferred through. ...that official transfer washes your hands of anything thereafter.
    Amen.

(Venango County)

What's to become of us or the Second Amendment if we start treating this process like a registry, too???
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    What's to become of us or the Second Amendment if we start treating this process like a registry, too???
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    It is a registry, so why not call it what it is?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast