Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Robbery Victim charged with firing gun

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Robbery Victim charged with firing gun

I was prepared to be outraged when I clicked on the link-- but it turns out they guy was just an idiot...

A Penn Township antiques dealer did nothing wrong when he faked a heart attack to discourage a robber who held him at gunpoint in his store at Elm, police said.

"That seemed to work for him," a police investigator said.

But Gary Eugene Seachrist, 59, acted recklessly when he fired four shots into the air with his own gun after the robber ran from his store on July 23, Penn Township police Detective George C. Pappas said.

"The robber had fled and was not in sight. He fired the rounds into the air in a residential area. It was reckless. You don't know where those bullets are going to land," said Pappas.

(snip)

The detective also charged Seachrist with a firearms violation which had to do with the legality of the .32-caliber handgun he allegedly used.

"It was illegal how he acquired it. He purchased it off someone who was not a firearms dealer. He bought it off the street and had no paperwork on it," Pappas said.

What a maroon!
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

Unfortunately alot of people buy guns without knowing a thing about the law. No research, next to none or zero practice and training. It's people like this that give us all a bad reputation.

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
    Pennywise The Clown

(Perry County)

Stupid is as stupid does.
    We the people have not only the right but the responsibility to hang tyrants for treason.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene V. Debs View Post
    I was prepared to be outraged when I clicked on the link-- but it turns out they guy was just an idiot...

A Penn Township antiques dealer did nothing wrong when he faked a heart attack to discourage a robber who held him at gunpoint in his store at Elm, police said.

"That seemed to work for him," a police investigator said.

But Gary Eugene Seachrist, 59, acted recklessly when he fired four shots into the air with his own gun after the robber ran from his store on July 23, Penn Township police Detective George C. Pappas said.

"The robber had fled and was not in sight. He fired the rounds into the air in a residential area. It was reckless. You don't know where those bullets are going to land," said Pappas.

(snip)

The detective also charged Seachrist with a firearms violation which had to do with the legality of the .32-caliber handgun he allegedly used.

"It was illegal how he acquired it. He purchased it off someone who was not a firearms dealer. He bought it off the street and had no paperwork on it," Pappas said.

What a maroon!
    So much for it being the responsibility of the seller to do the lawful transfer.. Now buyers are being charged.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

I had a feeling that this was gonna be bullshit.

The shooter in this story is a tool of the 1st order. He fires a weapon he has in his posession illegaly, fires into the air long after the robber has left. My personal favorite. He used the pistol as a noise maker and a show piece. Bang, bang, bang, bang, " Look at me I has a gun and I aint afraid to use it even though I have no idea what I'm doing".
    3%

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    So much for it being the responsibility of the seller to do the lawful transfer.. Now buyers are being charged.
    Buyers have been being charged for quite a while. Point is the guy was an idiot for shooting an illegally purchased weapon into the air after the robber had long gone-- I personally don't care if someone has an illegal weapon if they intend to use it strictly for self-defense.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Jefferson County)

Buyers have been being charged for quite a while. Point is the guy was an idiot for shooting an illegally purchased weapon into the air after the robber had long gone-- I personally don't care if someone has an illegal weapon if they intend to use it strictly for self-defense.
    Aside from the guy's stupid use of the gun, where in the law does it provide for charges against the buyer? ..no where, only against the seller.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Indiana County)

Charged, yes. Effectively prosecuted? That depends on his attorney. The statute clearly puts the onus on the seller, not the buyer.

(Berks County)

I personally don't care if someone has an illegal weapon if they intend to use it strictly for self-defense.
    Can you elaborate? I honestly do not understand why you would feel that way. Personally I spend a lot of money to purchase my firearms legally and I obey the laws of the land, personally I would not condone that and I would have a problem (honestly I would report it if I knew) with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast